Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ac 720 points

rocks70

need help guys for some reason cant get the points to open enough to gap them on my 19.5hp onan the push up rod looks like its not worn had it open to specs it ran great for a short time then quit. now cant get the right adjustment? mabe the box is warped? im at a loss

How are you adjust them?  Should be two screws to work, plus the box slide from side to side.  Things do like to loosen up and slip out of time.  You may have to remove and clean them. 

Had same problem after installing new points. New plunger assemblies are no longer available. I scanned eBay for months to locate NOS plunger. Reassembled with new part had same issue. Ugh!!  Finally used small round file on point bracket screw hole. Problem solved! 

Good Luck

Mike

On 8/14/2018 at 6:46 PM, Rigger9020 said:

Had same problem after installing new points. New plunger assemblies are no longer available. I scanned eBay for months to locate NOS plunger. Reassembled with new part had same issue. Ugh!!  Finally used small round file on point bracket screw hole. Problem solved! 

Good Luck

Mike

thanks rigger im going to try that plus have a new pushup rod comming from sandylake for the points if that doesnt work im going to put anew vanguard in it and sell the onan

Convert your CCKB ignition to electronic ignition from an Onan Performer and never look back. Ditch the points box and block it off. The Performer ignition uses a crank sensor and never needs to be adjusted.

Here is a link on how to do it.

http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8717&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=electronic,ignition

John U

Edited by midnightpumpkin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, midnightpumpkin said:

Convert your CCKB ignition to electronic ignition from an Onan Performer and never look back. Ditch the points box and block it off. The Performer ignition uses a crank sensor and never needs to be adjusted.

Here is a link on how to do it.

http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8717&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=electronic,ignition

John U

Hey John, I have tried to read that posting several times but it won't let me as I am not a member of Michaels.  I've even tried to become a member JUST to read that posting but for some reason, I can't join.  Is there any way possible you can copy & paste it here or email it to me?  I have your rotary valve PS write up saved as a PDF on my computer.  I'd do the same with this.

I filled out the membership for Michael's about a year ago and never heard back on my confirmation perhaps if a member there could print that page off as a pdf file then convert to a png image file to post for us here on simple tractors.

If your not able to convert a pdf file into an image file just email me the pdf file then I'll do the conversion for you.

As I would also like to change my older Onan from points to electronic ignition.

Edited by SimpleOrange
  • Like 1

I agree with John, I've converted multiple motors over to the electronic ignition, worth every penny. I'll take one of my onans with this set up over my vanguard repower any day. The Honda repower on the other hand is a different story. The hondas awesome, my only complaint is the motor doesn't fit the best, the one valve cover rubs on the hood but other then that I love it 

well guys got the point problem fixed.the box was warped so i put it on a flat piece of steel and sanded the warp out.plus put in a new plunger and now it purrs like a kitten.thanks for your help

• Like 1