Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Would I be crazy?

LMichaels

So I'm thinking.......................would I be considered crazy that I really am not liking my Sovereign and am actually thinking I may just want to sell it? While there are things I like there are more that I don't.............primarily it's just too clumsy handling for my yard. It cuts and runs like a dream but it's just plain too hard to handle on my wooded half acre. Just too much direction change, steering around things and so on. My old B10 was perfectly sized. Just that parts were so hard to find especially blades and hydraulic parts. No one carried blades and the ones in it were wasted, I could not find the belt tensioner parts for the deck, if I could have found parts for it I would have never sold it. UGH! What is like the B10 in terms of durability and power and easy to handle with quick steering but more modern and easy to find parts to keep it up? This Sovereign is just flat wearing me out 

I don't think so.

My favorite tractor is my old AC made Homelite T-12; a very close second is the 7016H Sovereign I picked up a few years ago.  The Homelite edges out the 7016H because the shallow right discharge deck will cut at almost 4" vs the Sovereign's typical left discharge deck at best 3".  

Both tractors have hydro trannies and electric lifts, not as nice as the hydrolift on the 7100/Sovereign series but much better than the manual lift.  The newer twin cylinder engines are nice, especially for blowing snow, but the 12 and 16 HP engines have more than enough power for the mowing I do.  

The 7000 series are mid-size between the old Allis B series and the newest 7100/Sovereigns.  I think your old B-10 had the short wheel base like my B-110 did.  They are definitely the tightest turning of the Simplicity/AC large frame garden tractors.  But, IMO, the longer wheel base that comes along with the 7000 series is worth it for the hydro tranny.  The handling is better than a manual steering 7100/Sovereign and steering much more responsive than a PS 7100/Sovereign. 

So find a friend with a 7000 series and see if it fits your needs better.

Isn't there a couple with power steering a little smaller than the legacy,? My Agco 2025 has totally spoiled me but may be to big for your yard

PhanDad has summed up how I feel about the 7000 series as well.  To take it one step further, The 12hp & above came with wider front wheels.  I put the narrow front wheels (B-10 front wheels) on my 712 Allis (same as a 7012 Simplicity) & it steered even better.

If the steering is the biggest thing you don't like about it, I would suggest that you follow this posting for what I consider the best steering upgrade possible.  I like it even better that the PS option.  the beauty of this upgrade is that it can be done to a 3300, 3400, 7000 & 7100/Sovereign series tractors.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/24786-steering-box-rehabilitation/?tab=comments#comment-319661

If you would like to operate a Sovereign series tractor with this upgrade, PM me as I live just north of Beloit.

Edited by ShaunE
  • Like 2

I'll chime in for the older small-frame tractors. They cut great, turn on a dime, and can be had cheap. dOd As my hero, Llyod says, "Just my $.02".

• Like 1

I second a Prestige...soooo comfortable and easy to handle.  Turn sharper than a sovereign and with finger-light effort.  Foot hydro will spoil you beyond belief, plus the differential lock is a fantastic tool for snow or the Occasional slope or wet grass spot.  And hydraulic lift for everything you may want to use. Prices have dropped dramatically on these and they can be had for what they very clean sovereign used to cost you.

Or… Depending on how much you Mow, an early Legacy is also becoming an incredible deal. I frequently see them cheaper than a prestige now.  Again very comfortable with all the extra features in the Option to run a 5 foot deck.  Attachments to become an expensive as well.

1 hour ago, dhoadley said:

I'll chime in for the older small-frame tractors. They cut great, turn on a dime, and can be had cheap. dOd As my hero, Llyod says, "Just my $.02".

Awe Dave I'm all choked up , Just my $.02

• Confused 1

Now you've heard it all, it's your yard and your feelings for the mower and no two people like the same things. No would not be crazy for doing what feels right to you.

• Like 1

Shaun, that looks very intriguing but I don't have any access to a machine shop or such. Maybe I'll look into a Prestige. I may pull the steering gear apart and see if it's at all bound but I doubt it as the PO was fastidious on maintenance. Very thorough on lube and oil. I do like the larger deck as I do get the lawn cut in much less time (that along with the much higher top speed LOL). I just have way too much maneuvering and such for this size machine. It's a nice machine and if I used other implements perhaps my opinion would change. But I have a smallish drive easily done with my little Honda snow thrower, I don't garden so no need for the power to til and plow. I just cut grass LOL

1 hour ago, LMichaels said:

but I don't have any access to a machine shop or such

I completely understand.  But you can't throw a dead cat in Loves Park without landing in a machine shop parking lot.:D

• Haha 1

Yeah I guess. Thing is I think much if the issue is the steering is very slow (too many turns) and the wheelbase is too long to maneuver as quickly as my old B10 did. I guess I was spoiled by that but than the B10 could not fit a very large deck. I can't recall if I had the 38 or 42" but I do know I do the lawn now with far fewer passes. Though some of that is due to the fact the blades were so bad on the old B10 I had to use only 1/2 width cuts so every pass was done twice. Over the years the blades were nicked and sharpened so many times there was not much left of them. 

Maybe I'll just sell this machine at the end of the season and see what next year brings me.................I don't know just kinda thinking out loud on it

I liked mowing with my dad's 4112 better than my 7100's.  Heck, I like the steering of my late 80's craftsman rider better, it takes a lot to horse them around.  Power steering out of a Sunstar made all the difference for me but it's a big piece of machinery to weave in and out of trees.  With all of our trees, my wife can push mow the whole yard in not much more time that it takes me to do it with a 48" deck.  And she can get closer to the trees, so by the time I trim she may even beat me.

I get it.  I have my 7117 and now 90's regent in my garage.  The Regent was free and I have it for a backup mower if the 7117 is on other duty (tiller) or just a spare if someone's primary mower goes down.  The Regent is kindof fun to drive, it will do circles around the 7117 for steering.  It is not as fast as the 7117, but for a smaller lawn you don't need too much speed.