Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy 60” Plow Need Help

dvdriz

OK I need some expert help. I need to fix up the plow that came with my old Legacy. It was used in a severe environment and needs some TLC. The plow appears to have beeen worn down to the holes for the factory scraper bar and then a 4” x 1/2” thick piece of steel plate was welded on all the way across. My idea is to use a plasma cutter to first cut away the 1/2” plate to gain access to the plow. Then I need to figure out what to do from there. I do have a new OEM scraper and shoes but how would you guys prepare the mess underneath?  Looking for ideas. I have an arc welder and access to a plasma cutter. 

F8F6A9F6-7A70-43EA-A00E-59E59EED0569.jpeg

2E4F0CEC-2D81-496F-8F23-2192CA619EFB.jpeg

B175CA82-7007-4D50-9703-8512B1275AF0.jpeg

1717139E-BA2B-4B2F-883E-9B43861A01E2.jpeg

Edited by dvdriz
Spell check

Hello, I would have it sandblasted , straighten all the bent stuff, and paint it ,and use it .If you really want to replace the cutting edge, go for it!

Thanks Ken in Mi

I suggest cutting the weld of the existing scraper blade to remove it and have the blade sand blasted. Purchase a new scraper blade and use it as a template to fabricate a new lower mounting edge and weld it to the front side of the existing blade. Use the new scraper blade as a temple to fabricate new blades, now and in the future, from flat stock, as it is less expensive. If the OEM scraper blade has square holes for carriage bolts, you can drill the holes slightly smaller than the distance across the corners of the square head and pound the carraige bolt head into the round hole with a hammer to hold the bolt from turning. I remove the shoes for snow plowing on a hard surface due to high wear. I use them only for soft surfaces, such as moving dirt to keep the blade from digging down.

Bill I like your idea. Think I will go for it. Already have the backside blasted and the plasma cutter did not have enough to cut through the old weld. On to grinding which seems to be working well just a little time and work ahead of me. Thanks for the idea. 

8 hours ago, Bill725 said:

I remove the shoes for snow plowing on a hard surface due to high wear.

Why didn't I think of this - great suggestion.

The plow repair is coming along nicely but not without a lot of hard work. The plasma cutter blew right through the weld on the 1/2" scraper blade but I could not keep an arc going during the second pass as it wanted to be 90 degrees to the material. I switched to my angle grinder and worked for 6 hours sneaking in under the bar without taking any plow material. It just didn't seem to be working at all until I switch over to a diamond blade. Finally I was able to start to make progress. Once I felt I had enough of the weld removed I got out the 3 pound hammer and started hitting. It didn't really move much but all of a sudden the old scraper blade shattered into several pieces and then I realized it was made out of carbide. Gosh not wonder it was such a bear! Regardless I got it off and the plow repairs began with welding the reinforcement structure on the backside back in place and straightening things out as much as possible. I then sanded as much rust as possible and used POR-15 metal prep to remove all of the remaining rust. I ordered a 4" wide 3/16 piece of steel to weld in behind the new OEM scraper I show in the picture. The hitch is also rust free and back on the tractor. IMG_0118.thumb.JPG.8bbb6afa4404fecf7349dad927b24030.JPGIMG_0119.thumb.JPG.7007d760dd59a232a07f8ede5714e25f.JPGIMG_0120.thumb.JPG.2386ffb7718ed747eabc6258f0832cd2.JPGAnother 4 hours or so and I will be done with the fab work. 

• Like 1