Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar hydro pump helpful with Sovereign PS install?

Alltractoredup

I have been searching and reading a lot lately on adding power steering to my 917 and a Sovereign roller chassis I have.  Some articles date back to 2007.  It seems there is an uncertainty regarding why the Sovereign PS lags compared to the Sunstar.  

Has anybody figured out why?  Is it because the Sunstars Hydro Sundstrand pump is better suited for PS and hydraulic lift than the current Sovereign Sundstrands??? 

I have a Deutz 1920H with a junk motor and wondered if taking the Sunstrand pump out of it and putting it into my Sovereign would solve the lag issue many others have discussed or if the pump will even bolt up nice...

Edited by Alltractoredup

The Sunstar Sundstrand Series 15 pump is a different spec # than the Sovereign Series 15 pump.  The biggest difference that I know of is that the Sunstar pump has a mainshaft that is splined on both ends to drive the rear PTO.  This means that swapping the Sovereign pump with a Sunstar pump is not so simple. There may be other internal differences and the pressure relief valve settings may differ (probably).  It appears that all Sunstar pumps have the higher volume charge pump, not all Sovereign pumps do.  There are at least 7 different spec #'s for Sovereign pumps,  but only one that I know of for the Sunstars.  I have not compared the hydraulic circuits between the two systems to understand if the hydraulic priorities are different (is steering a higher priority on the Sunstar?)  Inquiring minds want to know.  

Edited by CarlH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1