Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1974 Simp. 3314h Baron hydro

Ryan

My 3416H had the locking mechanism. It was a pain in the ace so I removed it and the spring that pulls down on the pintle shaft arm. I drive with my right hand on the lever all the time anyway but haven't noticed much ill effect except runaway down hills. Brent

Need some adjustment information or something. The hydro moves the tractor forward and reverse. The problem I am having is that I have to hold the shifter in the forward and reverse position for it to move. If I let go it goes to nuetral and the tractor stops. Kinda hard to drive this way. Thank you Ryan

Ryan, Is your 3314H a Baron or a Sovereign? Anyway, does the lever "quickly pull" back into neutral? If so, unless there's something happening inside the Vickers unit, it sounds like the control linkage is binding somewhere, or maybe getting "hung up" with some other linkage. If the lever "slowly creeps" back into neutral, it sounds like something is too loose or out of adjustment. What happens if you disconnect the linkage at the Vickers, jack the rear wheels off the ground, run the engine, and move the Vickers into forward and reverse without the linkage?

If the 3314H is like my 3112H. The control lever for the hydro must lock in the position you set. It sounds like the lock (lever on the control handle that you must squese)is missing or not functioning. If it was taken apart, did you misplace the ball bearing? Dan

It is a baron. It has a 13hp briggs. No linkage is binding. After reading Dan's post I think the lock is not working. I do not have to pull the lock lever to move the gear lever. I did not know that it locked in place. I wrote this post before I messed with the tractor this season. Now it will not move at all. All the fluid leaked out of the unit this winter. I filled it up with tranny fluid, but it does not seem to be circulating. The filter is not clogged. I tried it with and without the filter. The unit worked fine last year before it parked for the winter. Thank you Ryan

The tractor does move. I didn't put the thing in gear from the back of the unit. The sun must be melting my brain. thank you Ryan

Hi, I think the sun and the sight of green lawns has all of us going a little crazy, but in a good way. I agree with Dan, I think the squeeze handle on your tractor is either worn or missing a part. My Father-in laws tractor was doing the same thing. I sanded the worn shiny notch that the ball locks in and this helped some. Otherwise, you may need to weld a bead in the worn notch and grind it flush again. I have a feeling I will need to do this for him this summer. Dan