Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adding Tracks.........

LesH

Dutch, I'll be taking plenty of digital photos before I get her dirty, and some action shots as I take her cherry. However, I'm not shure where to park them on the net so I can link them. This is the first real purchase of something new in all my 38 years, I'm still getting used to the idea of a warranty. Got a few bucks from my late Uncle, god bless him. Had a tough choice though, used Vette or Excavator. I'm already married, so the Vette would only get me into trouble.

I suspect half tracks would still require some rear steering. John Deere won't admit it but a fully loaded to capacity 4x6 Gator won't steer worth a darn with marginal front traction. Even a Ford 8N with the track kit needs the rear brakes to turn much of a corner. MY $.02 Ron

Has anyone ever added tracks- rubber or steel to a garden tractor?? (Like the guy with the CC100 did). Seems like it would be an interesting project. Any ideas???

It would be an interesting project. The guy with CC claimed to have spent over 1000 hours making it WITH a fully equipped shop. WoW.............. Installing tracks is only half the work. How about steering? I still believe a more "do-able" project would be to make a "half-track". Should be far easier, and great for moving snow. I'm surprised none of the guys with access to old snowmobiles haven't tried it yet.

For parts and ideas, try the Struck Corp site, www.magnatrac.com I think the track and drive sprockets from their minidozer would be a good starting point. They have downlodable diagrams in the Technical Info section of their site. I'd agree with Dutch that a Halftrack design would be easier, but anything is possible with enough determination. Me, I've taken the easy way out. New Magnatrac Hydro 6000 Diesel is on it's way. I'm going into the part time excavating buisness, Got Dirt ?? lol.

I looked into Magnatracks and Terramites, since I have always wanted something like this. Finances are causing me to build a bucket for my AC 716. A lot less money. My wife won't give me $25K. Rod H.

Ron: I too think indiv. track steering would be needed, on a halftrack, but beyond that, it would just be FUN! Like an old episode of "Rat Patrol." (Dutch, if you can come up with a pic of this one, I think you're ready for my next challenge...). Roger: I have been intrigued with the Struck Corp.'s Magnatrac machines. I hope to find one used, one day. Please, all Magnatrac folk, let us in on your doin's and dozin's...I'm sure we'd all love to hear about it. The Diesel part is just too cool.

I have a magnatrac junior with a loader. It's an neat piece of equipment. There are a few things in the design that aren't so great but all in all it's ok. I have a pallet fork and dozer blade to go with the loader bucket. Also a rear single blade ripper, 3 blade ripper and winch.

Dozer crawler garden tractor track [A href='http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1724196790']http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1724196790[/a]