Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
kwt

Another paint thread.

kwt

I used Chevy orange on a couple of decks. One of them is mounted on a 1985 model 7116H and matches pretty well. The Other is on a Homelite so who knows. I was under the impression that the older 3112's I have are a darker color. I'm painting some rims at this moment using Rustoleom Canvas White and it is a little light, but I think Antique White is Just too dark. I honestly think that the White on the tractor is lighter than the white on the rims (I know they are OEM), but I think I would rather the whites be the same. I'm thinking about Paint for the 3112V's to go with the pretty rims.

Should the color on the 7116 and the 1969 3112V be the same? Should I just stick with Chevy orange regardless?

SmilinSam

I have been using chevy red-orange on 3400 series and older Simplicity tractors. The orange on those is more red than orange. Been using Rustoleum, even though I dont like rustoleum because its not all that durable. Problem is Rustoleum has discontinued that color now. Found some being sold on Ebay and got enough to finish the tractors I have started.Duplicolor makes the color, but I do not like painting with duplicolor.

I also use canvas white for the wheels. I like using it on the white tractor parts too. Looks better to me than the bright white you normally see on them. 

Been using pewter gray for the wheels and hoods on the 3300/3400 series with the gray parts. A little darker than original, but its the best off the shelf match I have been able to find.

I used to use valspar regal blue on homelites, but they changed the paint color slightly darker, so like you...who knows now.

Edited by SmilinSam

kwt

Color is not my forte. My wife on the other hand is pretty spectacular. She works at an automotive supplier on the paint line. They make trim and body panels etc. Kind of a lab tech quality control person. Her title is color auditor. I painted the deck for the 7116 with duplicolor Chevy orange. I grabbed an OEM 3112 hood and set it in between the 7116 and the deck and asked her which was lighter and darker. Her response was that the 7116 was lightest, then the 3112 hood, then the deck. I personally couldn't really put my finger on which was lightest and darkest, and thought that the deck was pretty close to the 7116 color, so I'm definitely in your camp. Chevy orange is close enough for older Simps.

The Duplicolor engine paint is pretty thin, so it takes a lot of thin coats, and runs easily. The only bonus is the good nozzle.

I just used Rustoleum canvas white on some 8.5" rims. Used the primer. They look great.