Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers 312 Steering

KBILL44

Hi All,

The piece where the steering plate (see diagram from manual below) connects to the bottom tractor as broken off and lost in a field somewhere. I am going to machine a new part but cant seem to find an image that shows what the original part looks like and how was connected. I assume it is just a metal rod that acts as a rotation point for the bearing sleeve.

Has anyone encountered similar problem with their AC tractor?

I can include more pictures later today.

Thanks

Steering_assembly.JPG

AC312.jpg

Edited by KBILL44

The steering on your tractor is unique to the AC 300/400 tractors I believe; it's very different from other steering setups.  Hopefully a AC 300/400 owner that has experience with the steering parts will help you out.  

• Like 1

I ended up finding the original broken part. Looks like the previous owner had the same issue and welded it back on. Girlfriends dad machined me up a new part that he drilled and tapped and I just bolted it back on. Good as new. 

I'm still curious to know how it originally was attached if any 312 owners on here see this. 

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Edited by KBILL44
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you found the missing part and have it back together.

And every old iron user's significant other's Dad should be a machinist!  He did did some nice work for you.

I believe I'd put a grease fitting in that sleeve, if doesn't have one.  Could it be that was the cause of the original failure? New part sure looks good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard Wright said:

I believe I'd put a grease fitting in that sleeve, if doesn't have one.  Could it be that was the cause of the original failure? New part sure looks good.

Great idea.

I'm sure "Dad" could do it easy.

Just looked at mine. It is bolted in from top. Also I do not have a snap ring either but a stud sticking down with a nut and washer holding steering pivot in place.

• 1 month later...

Same happened to one of mine. Bad weld I guess. Bolt through it allowed it to be “fixed”.   That’s a really nice fix you made up!!

Edited by sammiefish