Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Worth It?

apeterson17

Need some help, guys, as I am a total novice and have never owned a rider: Simplicity Sunstar 20H, front & mid pto, diff lock, 1900+ hours (woof!), 48” deck, rollers look good, couple dinged rims, tire weights, hydraulic deck lift only, and power steering. No 3 pt but different kind of rear end than I’m used to seeing. Looks like it cuts well. Attached some photos. Hoping to pickup tomorrow. $500 handshake price. My questions are “Should I?” and “any watchouts?” My intent is to get a good cut. Only have a small lot now (less than 1/2 acre) but intend to have more in the future and would like to potentially use for trailer around yard loaded with wood/mulch/riprap, etc. Want something built solid that will last a while and something that is capable of tossing some small implements on the back for a small garden or aeration/dethatching. I can be handy. All input is much appreciated!
Update: Just went and test drove the beast. Seem like a decent cut. I would say that it seem to hesitate a little bit or, the RPMs would drop if I would turn real hard at a mid groundspeed with mid engine speed. I also thought that there was a delay in the hydraulics. Is this something that is normal? Or should the hydraulics be immediate? The guy said when I started the deck originally that I had to give it a little bit of gas to get the voltage up, is this normal? Just want to make sure that I understand what’s normal and what is going to need work. All of your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

5F69479B-E29F-4B33-869D-C7888370108E.jpeg

94620635-56E0-4818-8942-F8F588B32B58.jpeg

98211CF9-7F24-4802-A518-817D6E8F6F7B.jpeg

Limited slip differential will load engine on tight turns.....this is normal. Revving engine for higher voltage probably means battery is bad or under-charged. I cut my grass in a circular path to avoid tight turns to avoid the tires from tearing up the lawn.

• Like 1

That is a lot of hours but it looks real nice. If it runs good and doesn't smoke, has plenty of power then at 500 you can't really go wrong. As for the hydro it could and should have a fluid and filter change. Not sure what a delay to you seems, but when going through neutral between forward and reverse there will be some delay as you say. If you are in the forward motion with the lever and you shove it full up I would think there should not be any delay as such. Great tractors. Mine has a 60 inch deck with the kolher command. Maybe the magnums were not as good but I really don't know on that. Yah you should rev it up to engage the pto but not for voltage reasons mostly for the additional load probably at least 3/4 throttle.

Lot of tractor for that money!

Harry

• Like 1

Oh...and you should see if there is a breather/housing...not sure what it is actually called but it is a plastic piece that sits on top to the hydro cooler and seals to the hood. Very important for proper cooling and keeping grass debris out of the cooler area. Wouldn't hurt to inspect the driveshaft up under the tractor that attaches the motor to the hydro unit. Two u-joints that tend to not get greased

Harry

With the mid engine speed you speak of, that could very well cause heisitation or RPM drop.  Generally, these are desigend to run at wide open throttle, or 3,600 rpms

• Like 2

Only smoke was white at startup and when engine speed was increased dramatically. It seemed to lunge a little when I changed ground speed dramatically. The delay in hydraulic lift of deck only seemed to be on the initial movement after sitting in one spot for a while. Could get like a 1,2,3 count in before lift, but it would go right back down. Has the plastic piece that sits on top of the battery, has just moved it for photos. Your responses are much appreciated. Any additional insight/thoughts?

Alot of tractor for the money. Only you know if it's right for you. Cheaper than most I have seen for sale....looks clean. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the delay was the lift taking up the slack in the hoist cable/chain/whatever. on the way down, the slack is taken up because the deck is hanging off the cable/chain/whatever. Free floating deck means that there needs to be slack when it is all the way down.

Obviously a well cared for machine. I say good deal.

• Like 2

Calling all cars! Need info on a competing offer: a clean, full service record wheel horse 416H with 600 less hours, hydraulic, and blade and chains for same price- ag tires, too. Any insight, y’all? Really struggling with this one. Are they just in a different class altogether?

E6563AE1-CF78-472B-90D9-4697A688085C.png

29F126CF-4EE7-4270-B682-E4AACDD2C94C.png

Dunno anything about he Horse, but you have a good deal on a Sunstar there.  They are a bit 'jerky'.  The rear end brackets are for a vac cart.  I see the turbo mounting components on the deck too. The turbo vac blower would be awesome to have, if he still has that.

Yeah honestly don't know much about WH though my friend who knows a lot more than I about small tractors is not a fan because of the extremely long way the belts have to run I guess. I'm in the Sunstar camp only because it's the devil I know being all Simplicity/Allis machines are similar

• Like 1

Before I jumped into this feet first with my 7116 I was heading down the road of a wheel horse.  I was actually after a wheel horse 520H and had decided on that over Simplicity for tiny reasons I can't remember.  The deal was right and I found my first Simplicity before I found a good WH and now I'm here.  From what I understand they are just as tough with just as many available options and a similar following to boot.  

I mean, WH is the worst, stay here with us!!!

• Haha 3

as a service tech i have seen these engines in commercial service go about 2500 hours between engine overhauls when maintained. this means oil changes once per month or 150 hours. and i have seen most kohler  engines fail as early as 200-500  hours. and just leave the key on  with a good charged battery and you can run up  several hundred hours   with magneto ignition engines. before the battery runs dead. it is very likely this unit with 1900 hrs has had major engine work or has been very well maintained. .bottom line  buy it even if the engine needs to be majored soon it is still worth it..

the junk pile escapees i rescue i buy  1 if they are complete 2 are not rusted out. they may have engines blown  all belts  bad all deck bearings locked up. all tires bad and needing a new seat.. and needing paint and decals. i pay about $100-$200 for each one at most i invest up to $1500-$2000  tops per project. when i am done they look like new and run like new and i do this to use them not to show and look at..