Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BigNickNY

Simplicity 3415H

BigNickNY

Howdy folks, recently browsing my local Craigslist I stumbled on a decently clean 3415H with snowblower and cab! The price was hard to miss but there was one slight issue with the machine that unfortunately cannot be overlooked! Owner claims it needs a new flywheel as it will not start, that and a new battery considering it has been sitting for a few years. Now, I work where parts can be ordered and such however, it shows the flywheel as a dreaded NLA (No longer available) part! Would there be somewhere that sells these old parts? Or maybe one of you fine gents would want to part with it? 

Tractor is here: https://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/d/simplicity-garden-tractor/6678968826.html

Thanks!

Nick

ShaunE

Why does it need a new flywheel?  Is it broken, missing magnets or was the ignition converted & maybe it needs to be re-polarized?

Brett is right, used flywheels are out there.  Do some research as I'll bet flywheels are interchangeable between some of those engines.

BigNickNY

I just got off the phone with the gentleman and apparently it runs rough due to something with the flywheel, not that it is broken and I am guessing its the magneto or something along those lines! I've looked into the different generations of those motors with the vast array of parts diagrams I have (Perks of working at the dealer) Additionally, he said the hydrostatic transmission was extremely rough and choppy which leads to more issues down the line. For $250, would it be worth it?

PhanDad

IMO, the engine's not an issue, but the hydro might be.  It has a Vickers hydro and that's not as common as the Sundstrands.  Maybe the fix is something simple, low fluid or blinded hydro filter; worst case swapping in another tranny. 

For $250, it's a great deal assuming you're willing to do some work.  

SmilinSam

If its rough and choppy movement from the tranny, it could be loose bolts holding the bevel gear box to the frame plates. Loose bolts means the tractor wil flex in the middle going over the terrain. That flex will translate to movement in the hydro control rod, which will make your tractor speed up and slow down as it travels over the ground.

• Like 2

kwt
3 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

If its rough and choppy movement from the tranny, it could be loose bolts holding the bevel gear box to the frame plates. Loose bolts means the tractor wil flex in the middle going over the terrain. That flex will translate to movement in the hydro control rod, which will make your tractor speed up and slow down as it travels over the ground.

The 7116 that my buddy bought and I "helped" bring up to snuff had this problem. Replaced with grade 8's and torqued to grade 8 specs.

Brettw
On 9/1/2018 at 10:51 AM, BigNickNY said:

I just got off the phone with the gentleman and apparently it runs rough due to something with the flywheel,

It's very possible it's a sheared flywheel key.  That's all it takes and it will run like crap, if at all.  About a buck for the part.

BigNickNY

I appreciate the amount of knowledge and replies here fellas, I will have to go and look at the machine as it has a cab and snow thrower coming with it for the price, something thats harder to pass up! 

Thanks again!

Nick

DaveTenney

Ask of it had the the coil replaced with new one.

I have bought a few tractors that had a new magnatron coil installed and did not have the flywheel repolarized. This makes them run terrible.