Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dhoadley

Deck arbor rebuild questions

dhoadley

So I'm rebuilding a #990885 deck; Long arbor tube assembly, no top cap. The second one didn't give up without a fight and I need to replace a couple of the larger, thinner washers. Referring to this parts display...

https://www.partstree.com/parts/simplicity/mower-deck-assemblies/990885-simplicity-42-rotary-mower-deck/arbor-assemblies/

...I think they are #9, Backing Ring, 2108134, NLA. Any suggestions? Thanx, Dave

MrSteele

I might have did it wrong, but I used some hard steel shims. If you get too thick, you screw up belt alignment, too thin, and the pulley wears on the housing. Not certain of the thickness..measure one of the others and match it. My last rebuild, I also had a local machine shop fabricate a new center shaft, a bit different than original. That locknut refused to stay tight, new or not. I had the shaft made longer on the top, with enough threads for a nylock nut AND a jam nut. No more loose nut, worn out pulleys, and shot bearings in the center shaft

dhoadley

A friend had a large washer that we bore out to 3/4". It's thickness replaced the thin "backing ring" and one spacer washer. The all original, and the cobbled together outside arbors are waiting for new pulleys (may the originals rest in peace) and both stacks come right up to the bottom of the key cut on the shaft. Pulleys are scheduled to arrive Thursday, so I may be cutting with this deck this weekend.

• Like 1

dhoadley
19 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Good news; glad to hear you'll be back in business soon.

I'm an optimistic pessimist. I won't be "back in business" until I engage the deck, it sounds right, and I make my first pass.

• Like 1

dhoadley

Reassembled deck and did a test engagement. Went well. Next week I'll use the A/C 917H for grass cutting duties. It turns out I have 3 small-frame decks; I'll do a set of those next.

All new nuts, bolts, & washers.

DSC02337.JPG.f4997eaa44b8c73640b579f0d1968b47.JPG

I have a bad habit of taking things apart and saying to myself, "Its obvious how it'll go back together". Took me a bit to get the belt routing correct. It is correct, isn't it?

DSC02338.JPG.2d17818dd625d515d684e3a7d342883a.JPG

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 2

ShaunE

Looks correct to me.  

By chance did you disassemble the pivot for the idler pulley & clean it up good?  They do get rusted & cruddy & don't allow the pulley to self adjust as needed.  I just don't want to see you throw a belt after you got it all back together.

• Like 2

PhanDad
11 hours ago, dhoadley said:

I have a bad habit of taking things apart and saying to myself, "Its obvious how it'll go back together".

I used to do this too.  But now, even for the simplest thing, I'll take digital pics before I start and depending on complexity, some along the way also.

They really help if the project becomes delayed, which seems to happen more as I age.   sm01

• Like 1

MrSteele
12 hours ago, dhoadley said:

I have a bad habit of taking things apart and saying to myself, "Its obvious how it'll go back together"

If you ever take some of the Stihl concrete cutting saws down, especially the carburetor and fuel lines, you cannot take enough pics to help you put it back together. I needed a loaner saw!