Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydraulic lift will not hold

bobvee

My John Deere 40C crawler is having the same problem. The shop mechanic recommended that I hoist up the blade with a HiLift jack, bleed the pressure out of the lines (by working the control valve back and forth with the engine off), unhook the hydraulic lines to the cylinders in question and cap them. Then remove the jack. If the blade holds, it's the valve that is shot. If the blade falls the valve may be fine and the cylinders need a rebuild. The same troubleshooting should apply in your case as well.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

I am having trouble diagnosing a hydraulic lift problem. It wont hold an implement in the up posisition. Sometimes it seems to hold when parked but while in use it bleeds off. Does anyone have some tips on what to look for?

Hello there, I guess this is on the B12 that you are talking about? Probably what I would check would be your fluid level in the hydraulic reservoir. I think it calls for 5-30 or 10-30 motor oil if it is the one that runs off the flywheel side of the motor like my HB212 does. If it seems to hold when the tractor is not running but drops when the tractor is running, maybe your control lever is not staying centered for some reason. It should return to center when you let it go and it should also move smoothly when you are moving it. Maybe there is some dirt in the fluid that is causing the valve to hang up and allow some flow past. Just some ideas, good luck, Clayton

Thanks for the reply fellas. I have had the controll valve apart a couple of times. Once to replace the o-rings. The next time I streched the springs a little to hold the spool in center posistion. Each time I flushed the old oil out and replaced it with new. I had thought of testing the cyl. as mentioned earlier but a touch of laziness set in. As soon as I get the new rams for the loader I had made installed I will get back to the lift. Would anyone know if repair kits for the control valve and or cyl. are available?