Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pelhamjeff

Stripped drive axle on 5212.5

pelhamjeff

Hi folks, I wonder if anybody here could help me get my old 5212.5 cutting again..2 weeks ago she just stopped pulling. I checked all the simple things and then I removed the transaxle and tore it down. It turns out that the left drive axle is stripped in the side gear of the differential. I actually think the gear is ok but the splines are just gone from the axle itself. I am having trouble finding that axle but hopefully somebody on here has one they would sell. Thanks in advance!

SimpleOrange

If it becomes impossible to locate a used axle find a machine shop nearby that has an EDM machine. Chances are your worn out spine maybe built up via welding then machined back to spec.

Most SAE and Metric splines and other commonly used items are stored as templates in the software, which cuts down on programing the G-code timewise.

Edited by SimpleOrange

SimpleOrange

After the machining has been completed have them heat treat the axle to bring back the case hardening, this will prolong the life of the spine.

If the machine shop does not have the equipment to do the heat treatment they'll be sure to know where to send the part for treatment.

Heat treating used to take hours in large ovens but with today's modern induction heating equipment the process can be done in a matter of minutes.

I have a small 15 KVA Induction furnace that I use for melting gold and silver, I can attest to the fact that the induction furnace outperforms any gas or electric furnaces sold on the market.

Edited by SimpleOrange

MrSteele

Welcome to the group! Finally, another member from the sunny south! Jeff, someone here is always willing to help on almost any problem you want to come up with on your tractor