Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Drive belt @ NAPA??

I've heard I can purchase a new drive belt from my local NAPA. What info do they need? I have the simplicity p/n (1655069). It's for a 1976 4108. Anyone know the specifics on the belt (length, wide, etc) that I could use to purchase one? The one in there currently is real ratty, and I wouldn't trust a measurement off of it. Thanks, Chris

Be smart buy the p/n (1655069) belt. It might be a little more expensive to buy but cheaper in the long run. Automotive type belts don't last on a simplicity. This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I agree with Maynard (I bought a new OEM belt for mine yesterday), but if you have no choice. According to the Belt X-Ref table on Simple trACtors, it's a 91.1" belt with a 1/2" cross-section....

If you do decide to go with NAPA. I just bought an 80 inch belt from NAPA, for my snowthrower. They have the "new" green belts that the guy told me should last longer than the regular, automotive type. $25. If you bring the old one in they will match it....Good luck Art.

You might what to try Tractor Supply Company. The belts they have are for implement (heavy duty) use. The auto belts are not built with the same durability and quality. They have a wide range of sizes. hope this helps....... Dave

Normal automotive belts are not designed to have a major load run on the back of the belt (i.e. spring tensioner) so they wear out very quickly when used on garden equipment.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

I have gotten belts from a farm supply store before and they still didn't last. I have taken a belt off my 7790 snowblower that was warn round and saved it for an emergency. The simplicity dealer isn't open on weekends and it only snows on weekends. LOL I have broken Simplicity belts before and the dealer here replaced them, gave him the old belt and he gave me a new one. This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

As Napa is my only choice within 200 miles I've used up lots of them, even the fractional hp rated ones do not impress me. I've gone to ordering belts from Sandy Lake when not an impedding need. Its cheaper and I get them in the mail box in 4 or 5 days..MPH

chris, I tried this already with my broadmoor. the belt fried after about 20 minutes! I had been told by a guy at work to do the same thing. I bought a simplicity belt and its been great ever since. dougm

Guess I'm lucky cause the local Car Quest carries the Gates Power Rated line which are made for Tractors & implements. I havent had a failure yet aside from normal wear. The PTO to Deck belt on my Landlord is 2yrs old and still looks good. With the necessary twist put on that belt in going from a vertically oriented pully to a horizontal pulley, it has to be the hardest working belt on the tractor. The Gates belts are slightly cheaper than Simplicity and 15 miles closer. Dick