Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Olderbutwiser

Simplicity Prestige brake rod issue

Olderbutwiser

Hello I am a first time poster here.

Just bought a Simplicity Prestige 1693974 it's the 20 horsepower with power steering and a 50 inch deck.

I bought it for $300 in working condition there's a few issues wrong with it a little smoke on Startup bad idler pulley and broken brake rod. The motor has 1800 hours on it but drives pretty strong. I probably bought a basket case but it feels so much better than the 2014 Craftsman I had.

My question is I'm trying to remove the brake rod which is part number 5 on page 10 of the service manual that I downloaded on the Simplicity website. What is the best way to remove this rod? I see that there's a plate for the foot controls that is blocking my way of getting to it. 

I added a pic of the mower and a screenshot of the part I'm wanting to remove.

Thanks for any help 

20180919_221643.jpg

20180916_163401.jpg

Olderbutwiser

@tadams Thanks! @abu507 I am going to take it off this weekend and  see if I can get to it, frankly the break rod is the only thing left to address aside from the motor smoking slightly and to a lesser concern the seat. @MikeESI think it was a good deal, I had a craftsman T3200 with a CVT transmission and didn't like it, flimsy deck and overcomplicated deck system. It just overall felt cheap. Then I drive the Prestige with power steering and much easier deck system and hopefully knock on wood may have 1800 more hours.

SmilinSam

Have two older  prestiges but never had the brake system apart. Swapped engines and added a rear attachment lift to one.

The engine smoke at astart up may be nothing to bother about. We had a discussion on this a long while back in here.  Most of the Kohler vertical command twins  in the Prestiges  have this problem even since new. at least from the responses and research I did. I thing the discussions were about the 23 hp commands, but the 20's may be in the same boat.?? .. I have a replacement 350 hr 23hp out of a Lowes Deere that chugs out a white cloud briefly at initial start up after sitting overnight. Everytime. . Never have to add oil between changes..

Olderbutwiser

Thanks for the info on the smoke on startup makes me feel better. 

Update on the brake rod. I was able to contort myself enough to get a small screwdriver to push the clevis pin behind the plate the rod was going through. Getting a new brake rod put back should be easier I hope. 

• Like 1