Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel economy Kohler K321

deebig

What is your experience with fuel usage on a 50 year old flathead engine? My AC314 with the K321 engine has surprised me on fuel usage. Comparing it to my Husqvarna  13 hp OHV Kohler they both use about the same amount of fuel to cut 3/4 acre lawn. AC has a 48" deck vs 42 on Husky so maybe that is the reason. Transmission on AC vs hydro on Husky may be another. I also run the AC around 2700 rpm but the Husky runs full bore.

14 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

Interested to see what others have experienced. 

Not a scientific study but they both have 2 gallon tanks and I only get about 10 % more run time with the husky. The husky is always at WOT whereas the AC is always below 2700 rpm. The husky is also 300# lighter. Maybe its the chinese carburetor I put on it....lol.

Edited by deebig

Doesnt matter what gas engine I use in the cast iron singles, its about a gallon an hour. Briggs singles will do a hair better.

Two cylinders use slightly more than  a gallon an hour..

Most fuel efficient mowing machine I have found in all these years is the 5010 Simplicity with the L head 10hp aluminum engine block paired to a 42: mower deck.Speedwise its slower than everything else, but fuel wise you will be mowing more grass on the same gas than everything else.

My findings anyhoo.....

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Machineguy said:

The Onan on my 9020 has a drinking problem! Lol

:J

Same here, they do love their fuel.

Blowing through 2 feet of snow 1.5 gallons per hour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Doesnt matter what gas engine I use in the cast iron singles, its about a gallon an hour. Briggs singles will do a hair better.

That sounds about right.....I will time it next time I use it. I did run it for about 1 hour 45 minutes grading my driveway on 1/2 tank of gas ( 2.25 gallon tank)but it was running a fast idle while I was grading in 2nd gear.

My findings anyhoo.....

My fuel consumption numbers were a rough guess-temation . I will fill a 5 gallon gas can make a note of hour meter and get back with results. I do know it is LESS than one gallon per hour.

Edited by deebig

OK I just ran a more accurate test this morning. I mowed grass for exactly one hour using hourmeter and stop watch on phone.  I then measured fuel level in tank,it was 2" below bottom of neck. Tank is 2.25 capacity and  8" deep so this would represent .562 gallon. I would say that is pretty good for a 50 year old L-head engine!

I've been keeping an eye open for a propane carburetor ( air fuel mixer ) for a wood gas conversion that I want to do with my 9020.

Yesterday afternoon found and brought home a few propane tanks of various sizes to use in constructing the gasifier

gas.png

• Like 1

Will do for sure, one gasifier for the 9020 then another for a 92 GMC.

Power outage during this post, still out. Running off a 4500 watt pure sine inverter off of one small automotive battery and have no idea how many minuted or hours I'll get from it.

Were the only property with out, I think the transformer burnt out, the other day when I was welding in the shop then came in for coffee Pat mentioned the lights in the house were dimming.

I have a 200 amp service for both house and shop and light do not dim an that kind of service.

17 hours ago, SimpleOrange said:

I've been keeping an eye open for a propane carburetor ( air fuel mixer ) for a wood gas conversion that I want to do with my 9020.

Yesterday afternoon found and brought home a few propane tanks of various sizes to use in constructing the gasifier

gas.png

Surprised to see snow. Guess that's why they call it the Great White North.

On 9/21/2018 at 11:04 AM, deebig said:

Not a scientific study but they both have 2 gallon tanks and I only get about 10 % more run time with the husky. The husky is always at WOT whereas the AC is always below 2700 rpm. The husky is also 300# lighter. Maybe its the chinese carburetor I put on it....lol.

Why are you running the AC below 2700 rpm? Small air cooled engine are designed to run a WOT for maximum cooling. Other than low or old oil, heat is the reason these things shelf destruct. Get those RPM back up! 

1 hour ago, Wilbur643 said:

Why are you running the AC below 2700 rpm? Small air cooled engine are designed to run a WOT for maximum cooling. Other than low or old oil, heat is the reason these things shelf destruct. Get those RPM back up! 

Never heard that one before. Why have a throttle? As long as speed is above 1200 rpm you have adequate cooling. 2700 rpm = a blade tip speed of 18000 feet per minute on a 48" deck with 4 " deck pulley and a 5" engine pulley. That is the recommended speed for this deck.

Edited by deebig

Kohler recommended that all their flathead engines be run at 3600 rpm when under load. If you have access to a digital point and shoot thermometer point it at the cylinder wall after running it at 1200 rpm, then do the same at 3600 rpm after a few minutes, you will see a substantial difference. While 1200 rpm does cool it, it is not adequate enough cooling when under load. Heat kills.

56 minutes ago, Wilbur643 said:

Kohler recommended that all their flathead engines be run at 3600 rpm when under load. If you have access to a digital point and shoot thermometer point it at the cylinder wall after running it at 1200 rpm, then do the same at 3600 rpm after a few minutes, you will see a substantial difference. While 1200 rpm does cool it, it is not adequate enough cooling when under load. Heat kills.

AC had a chart for recommended throttle settings for various attachments but I can't seem to find it. I have never seen a GT pulling a turning plow with the engine screaming at 3600! I would think this would be rough on the BGB, especially if the driveshaft had any run-out.

Edited by deebig

Deebig said:

AC had a chart for recommended throttle settings for various attachments but I can't seem to find it. I have never seen a GT pulling a turning plow with the engine screaming at 3600! I would think this would be rough on the BGB, especially if the driveshaft had any run-out

I think both are correct.  The key is under load. A lot of applications don't take a lot of power.  My experience is snowblowing wet snow followed by mowing heavy Bluegrass and the revitalizer are the most power (and gas) hungry applications.  A small moldboard plow doesn't take much power as shown that the Sovereign Sundstrand is only rated at 7 HP to the gearbox.

I once had a Power King with the same engine and the user manual said to keep rpm between 2400 and 3300. But it also said to try to keep it closer to 2400 for LONGER engine life!! I would think HP and heat produced would be proportional to speed and cooling would be stable regardless of speed. Faster=more heat,faster = more cooling from fan.

Edited by deebig