Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Not often seen combo... 3300 series & sickle mower

SmilinSam

Just got it all done this afternoon. Gave it a successful test run too....

medium.DSCN1928.JPG.3c147c4c81d284ad17bc

My faithful helper in the foreground..

medium.DSCN1927.JPG.af79ffb41c086ad6081b

medium.DSCN1926.JPG.b8ae9da92b014a5f9304

medium.DSCN1925.JPG.16429c5b3a8bfb618a55

medium.DSCN1917.JPG.e71ee85dfb82cc06fc02

medium.DSCN1921.JPG.cd2f5ecb309688c6fc10

medium.DSCN1922.JPG.05d21aea1bf4126a9285

medium.DSCN1923.JPG.37ee1c3766f8613e15c7

medium.DSCN1924.JPG.b74d043f634704d4e4ff

medium.DSCN1919.JPG.7aa12fe11d5565faf31c

medium.DSCN1920.JPG.72a584a8f62c557d8d84

medium.DSCN1916.JPG.c192b1e786748cd86587

medium.DSCN1915.JPG.acbcbff48edc73a75e8d

medium.DSCN1918.JPG.0d862ef3b35ad197fdde

This tractor was one my younger son picked up for $50 with a deck. He never did anything with it so I replaced the smoking 10 with a good 16. with a flywheel charging system and ring gear starter. Did a Sundstrand hydro conversion  seeing as how the vickers was leaking pretty bad. Probably have $200 in the tractor as it sits. Still need to work on the wiring harness a little and get a new seat.

Picked up the sickle mower at a auction for $50. $450 more   later.. its running with the help of alot of NOS parts off Ebay and  a parts mower from DaveBsACs. Got more money in it than I wanted in it, but really, all in all its worth it. Besides I havnt been "blessed" with a "money pit" project for quite some time.

Kinda different running an RBT using FDT type equipment.

Mower runs pretty smooth. It should as most of the driveline is NO$&:)

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

Sure is Purdy C|:

Nice conversion. 

The only conversion  was the Vickers to Sundstrand. The 3300 series was the first generation running board tractors. They wer ekind of a transition tractor and as such  still retained the FDT type  pto setup. The mower and pto system is OEM. I've been waiting years to put one of these systems together..

• Thanks 1

Do you need any kind of counter weight when the sickle bar is down?...and this may sound dumb...but what is that used to cut....corn?

19 minutes ago, MARK (LI) said:

Do you need any kind of counter weight when the sickle bar is down?...and this may sound dumb...but what is that used to cut....corn?

Ditch weed ect...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MARK (LI) said:

It has a pretty stout tension spring you can see in the one picture above. Operator can easily raise the bar off the ground  with the lift lever. The chain pictured is just a transport chain that holds the mower up higher for traveling to the work area and back.

In the 60's the manuals suggested using wheel weights and also dual wheels for traction. Not sure when the dual wheel setups ceased being offered exactly, but I dont ever recall seeing any listed after the RBT's came out. I know that the 700 and 725 tractors would tend to get dragged sideways in heavy weeds & grass. The duals really help those tractors.

They cut whatever you want. Works real goo in pasture weeds. I used to use  the last one I had to clean off the weeds  that the horses wouldnt eat at the end of the year before winter.. These mowers dont really like heavy thick and tall grass.. Sparse and tall works great, but if its real thick down at the ground where the cutter bar is it tends to plug it up.. I have mowed 6' tall horseweeds and other sparse stuff like that with great success.  Most of the time you dont want to use a swathboard. Kida like the 38" heavy duty tillers shoes...you just hang it on the wall and leave it there. More a hinderance than help.

• Like 1

That is a neat combo!  I dont see much in the way of 3300s at all.  Nice to see thatcomw together  

I think the needs for duals faded as tires and stance got wider and tractors started gaining weight.  Beside the early flip hoods with 6-12s, I have never felt a need for duals for stability. My 7790 sure seems top heavy so for mowing hillsodes i added the 3” loader spacers.  World of difference. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

My 7790 sure seems top heavy so for mowing hillsodes i added the 3” loader spacers.  World of difference. 

I did the same thing with my kubota BX25D. With the curtis cab abd backhoe it was uncomfortably tippy on slopes. Put the 2 1/2 " spacers on the rear wheels and cured the problem entirely, Handles like a whole different tractor now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaveTenney said:

Nice! Now you only need to mow the lawn three times a year ;)

It also works good to cut the weeds back along my paths. Just keep the bar up off the ground at an angle and cutt all the stuff off thats hanging out over the path. 

Are you the Dave Tenney associated with Tennies Hardawre?