Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Time for a change?

GregB

A couple of times lately the wife has said "why don't you get rid of these old tractors, and get something newer"

After thinking about it and reviewing current finances, it is very possible.

But I do not want to get rid of all the large frames, just some due to attachments I already have.

Current fleet:

917H is prime used right now.  Snow blowing, tilling , Mowing, jonny bucket when needed.

716H, project tractor, runs OK but ugly (was a 718) was going to be a dedicated mowing tractor because its lower and shorter, and On my slopes better.

716-6spd, great original shape used for snow plow, and I have also tilled with it, mowed with it.

7116(17GTH repower) newest of fleet, was going to be new prime, but still has summer heat issues.  I do have a new 18hp Magnum for a transplant.

Big Ten w/ hydro lift, for grader blade, Earthcavator, sickle, and general use pulling wagons around the yard.

B-110 w/16hp w/B-10 loader.  Hydro lift, rear hitch for grader or box, weight rack on back.

Really thinking about a Legacy 4x4, ideally with loader.

There is one up on E-bay that might fit the bill, no rear PTO though and the dash cluster has issues. Asking $9500

Have not started to cruise the local stores yet, but need to thin the herd before I buy something else, so she does not change her mind.

At this point thinking of putting the Magnum into the 7116, and keeping it.  716-6 is a keeper. Same with the Big Ten. Not sure about the 716H mowing tractor yet.

Thoughts or suggestions?

If you are shopping for a legacy xl 4x4 w loader, I'd shop for a bit and see what they are bringing. $9500 seems kind of high for what I have been seeing for sale in my neck of the woods. You might be better off buying the loader separate from the tractor and putting the 2 together. Like I said, shop for a while on all the alternatives before you pull the trigger.

Here is the sort of deal I have become accustomed to...and very much like what Injust bought in december, and similar in detail and pricing to at least two other member’s recent purchases. 

If you could talk this one down $500 and sell the blower, you are into a diesel 4x4 with loader and deck for probably near $5500

I inquired on this tractor and it has 630 hours. 

35F3A15C-0B67-46BD-BEA4-E3EFED6B007A.thumb.png.17c750f09bf91d807903e3d65c528fcd.png

2B185B7D-8575-4586-A486-18B15A2D5FC0.thumb.jpeg.77d0e9b3bbcaa7764c72a1614c24da74.jpeg

• Like 1

When someone doesn't get our hobby, it can be very hard to convince them of the value in these older used tractors. You either get it or you don't. It boggles my mind that people look at my collection of early 1900's stationary engines and just see junk, even though every single one runs. Oh well...there are people out there who do appreciate them so I ignore the rest.

• Like 2

My wife has resigned to the facts. I ain't buying newer! She uses the Landlord to pull trailers, and enjoys the drive, never got used to the Dixon zero turn I have also had for years. She stopped telling me to buy new a long time ago, and is waitiing for me to start working on the 64 Landlord I bought for the engine. Was going to scrap the tractor until she said I could build it for her nad my grandson to play with. Will have to find another deck...and...

• Like 1

My problem around here is also that there seems to be few of what I am looking for available locally. 

Been watching for 4-6 months, E-bay, Craigs list. 

Anywhere else to monitor?

I think Josh gave you a really good lead Greg.  Facebook sucks, ok there I said it.  But lately, if a guy isnt watching all 3 (FB, Craigs, and Ebay) you are eliminating potential  candidates.   Yes Facebook gets a lot of exposure and can be competitive, but if a guys lists a tractor and for some reason doesn't get a call for a few days, the pricing can make him nervous and thats exactly the situation you are looking for.

Also, for some reason, nothing will define your "I'm going to sell" list like buying a Legacy XL.  Ask me how I know. 

(Of course after selling a few machines off the list its amazing how fast you buy a few more.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GregB said:

I would never have known that was a facebook posting.........................

I do not use that media outlet.

That's what I used to say.  I opened a facebook account back in 2004 or so.  It was something used in college so study groups and classes could share info.  After that, I didn't look at it again until perhaps 18 months ago?  People in the hobby...many from our club...were sharing tractor related info or bargains with me that were provided on FB.  I finally caved, and pretty much only use the tool for that.  I get to see the BS that certain friends and family members are up to...if I want to...but it's easy to filter that noise out.  The most common complaint I hear from non-FB users is "I don't care what so and so is up to".  Well, you don't have to see or hear that if you choose not to.  

Through my use of FB's 'marketplace', which is the primary tool for listing things for sale, I find more of the items us like-minded folks would be interested in buying, than through ebay and craigslist, combined.  The communication using that tool is much easier too, and there is very little anonymity like with craigslist and ebay...you typically see who you are dealing with.  

Of course, on the other hand, FB has drawn a tremendous amount of traffic and participation away from forums, and is the primary driver of our club's reduction in size.  That is why it was the motive for Kent and other club members to begin using FB as a type of promotional tool or 'social media banner' for our club and site.  There is a blance there that we have not mastered yet.  If you can think of any non-active or former club member, who has not yet died, and especially if they were very active in our forum, I can guarantee, they are active almost continuously on facebook.  Some never log off.

Regardless, I cannot recommend a legacy and especially legacy xl enough...I have been extremely pleased with the design.   I figure, if Lloyd can come around and appreciate them enough to have a legacy be his lone holdout machine, then anyone can. dOd

• Like 3

I would also add, if you are looking to spend in the 5-7k range for a tractor, that is quite different than the $200 - 1,500.00 we all consider with the myriad of 60's - 70's - 80's- 90's large frames.  At the 5-7k price range,  a significant road trip or a few hundred Fastenal bux becomes much more relevant and justifiable at those numbers.  JMHO

I'd consider a couple of hours one way for a pickup road trip, but visiting most of you in the Midwest and north is out.

One of the Fastenal's has a ground level dock, but do they have an upper size limit for pallets?

Besides not likely to spend that kind of cash without some hands on the package.

I don’t blame you on that kind of expense and risk for buying something you can’t look at in person. I drove about five hours round-trip to pick up my most recent one. Probably about the same for the one before that. I did a four hour trip to pick up one for another club member here a couple years ago. After I bought my most recent machine, a great deal on one popped up walking distance from my office. A club member here ended up purchasing it but it was probably an 8 to 10 hour round-trip for him. I gave it my best inspection before he made the drive and I believe he is very satisfied. 

Fastenal will ship large items but they do have to be on a pallet. I have seen PowerMax tractors get shipped and I have also heard from people who have had their requests for such a large loads declined. I think it really depends on the stores that are shipping and receiving and whether they feel they have the equipment and space to manage a pallet that size.

Right now I’m shipping a 8’ x 5’ x 4’ crate filled with all sorts of goodies from Nebraska to Michigan. It’s probably 13 or 1400 pounds worth of stuff. Fastenal had some additional questions for me and required pictures of it but they did give the greenlight. Now I have to hope that it fits between the wheel wells of my truck when I go to pick it up… It’ll be a slow ride home. I have no idea how I’m going to unload it!

• Like 1

Well after doing what you want to do back in December I could not be happier. The xl is great, loader is amazing and, power steering is a must! Get it and dont look back. I bought one in dec that was a  kohler engine model with a loader, plow and broom for $6000 with 420 hours or so. Sold the broom to recoup some cash and a month later found a fully loaded diesel model with 183 hours, cab ,blower and, deck for $8000. I wound up keeping loader off the gas model and selling that tractor off. So now I'm left with diesel tractor with heated cab, loader, blower, plow and, I bought another broom. Thing is amazing is all I have to say. Looking back I wish I kept the kohler XL but I just couldnt justify having 14k out lol. I still kept some large and small frames but I sold my big ticket ones after I got the legacy to fund some of this.

Edited by CTD01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GregB said:

I remember those.  Had I had the funds available like now, I would have been in the running for Maynard's tractor.

Hahaha Glad I got it! I know it was well maintained and I will continue the maintenance. We had some major storm damage this year and  thanks to that machine we got 90 percent of it cleaned up. It now has 309 hours on it! Like I said before get one and don't look back!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GregB said:

One of the Fastenal's has a ground level dock, but do they have an upper size limit for pallets?

The way it was explained to me by Jenny Peplinski (the lady who is the coordinator for Fastenal 3PL), is that weight is the biggest factor.  I was informed that when you get close to the 2000 lb. area, it can get questionable due to the equipment available to load & or unload it.

Not all the Fastenal stores participate in the 3PL shipping service as not all of them posses a forklift & or a loading dock.  When you fill out the form on the 3PL website a few of the required fields are the zip code of origin & the zip code of destination.  If either one of those does not participate in the 3PL service, then the next closest one which does participate will be selected & placed on the quote.  You need to pay attention to the quote when it is emailed to you to verify which stores are going to be involved.

Once you utilize this service, you will definitely continue using it in the future as either a purchaser or a seller.  It's pretty painless & the rates are more than reasonable.  I always take the time & explain the service to people & I've had very good luck getting people to ship.  It really does open the doors as a buyer & a seller.  The biggest thing you need is a willing seller to take the time & fasten the item to a pallet & drop off at the originating store. 

I sat on an Ark 600 loader for a month.  I then banded & bolted it to a snowmobile pallet & updated the listing that I would ship it through Fastenal 3PL at the buyers expense.  Within the next 24 hours I had three people call me for it.  The fist guy was in Upper Sandusky OH, the second in Atlanta GA & the third someplace in TX.  The first guy paid my asking price & paid $255 to have that 600 lb. loader shipped to Upper Sandusky OH.  I doubt that would have even paid for the tolls between here & there both ways.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 7:25 PM, Talntedmrgreen said:

Here is the sort of deal I have become accustomed to...and very much like what Injust bought in december, and similar in detail and pricing to at least two other member’s recent purchases. 

If you could talk this one down $500 and sell the blower, you are into a diesel 4x4 with loader and deck for probably near $5500

I inquired on this tractor and it has 630 hours. 

We just don't see these deals. Probably due to lower number of Simplicity resale units available. I would drive the distance for a good deal and be happy to pay Josh or a member closeby to vette the tractor.  I can see that someday that may happen to as power steering is something I never cared about until the last year or so...

How about this one:

2005 XL? 347 hrs, 27hp, 60" deck, PTO. 3pt, Cab, and weight box. 

Asking $8900, open to offers.

Just over an hour from me at a equipment dealer.

Might be driving north on Saturday.

Comments on price, and suggestions for look outs as I have never looked at these before.

I did ask them for more detail, model # Etc

2005 xl.jpg

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, Talntedmrgreen said:

That's what I used to say.  I opened a facebook account back in 2004 or so.  It was something used in college so study groups and classes could share info.  After that, I didn't look at it again until perhaps 18 months ago?  People in the hobby...many from our club...were sharing tractor related info or bargains with me that were provided on FB.  I finally caved, and pretty much only use the tool for that.  I get to see the BS that certain friends and family members are up to...if I want to...but it's easy to filter that noise out.  The most common complaint I hear from non-FB users is "I don't care what so and so is up to".  Well, you don't have to see or hear that if you choose not to.  

Through my use of FB's 'marketplace', which is the primary tool for listing things for sale, I find more of the items us like-minded folks would be interested in buying, than through ebay and craigslist, combined.  The communication using that tool is much easier too, and there is very little anonymity like with craigslist and ebay...you typically see who you are dealing with.  

Of course, on the other hand, FB has drawn a tremendous amount of traffic and participation away from forums, and is the primary driver of our club's reduction in size.  That is why it was the motive for Kent and other club members to begin using FB as a type of promotional tool or 'social media banner' for our club and site.  There is a blance there that we have not mastered yet.  If you can think of any non-active or former club member, who has not yet died, and especially if they were very active in our forum, I can guarantee, they are active almost continuously on facebook.  Some never log off.

Regardless, I cannot recommend a legacy and especially legacy xl enough...I have been extremely pleased with the design.   I figure, if Lloyd can come around and appreciate them enough to have a legacy be his lone holdout machine, then anyone can. dOd

I don't have the XL but may someday if bargain comes around, as for my early Legacy I probably work it harder than a lot of you will ever but that's me.

So far it's been up to the task and has preformed amazingly, still partial to the Allis ( Powermax ) series

My first two Legacys were setup with loader, 540 pto/3 point and all the winter gear available.  I had a tiller and pair of rear mowers i used quite a bit (4’ rotary and 5’ flail), mostly away from home. Over here by the lake they ran constantly in winter.  A 2-stage blower can be pushed to stall out the CH25.  I ran my first one so much using the loader on our landscape renovations when we moved, that I bought a second one for my other tasks.  I was thoroughly impressed, but there are a couple weaknesses, primarily up front.  Devin recently worked through all of the wear points in his legacy...and they were Bad.