Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Time for a change?

GregB

27hp gas Kawasaki.

Shows 348 hrs on the clock now.

Previous owner wrote hours change date on all the filters etc so some idea of maintenace.

After I got on the 917 to quickly mow the lawn , I realized how much nicer the Legacy was to drive.

Toughest part is getting used to the foot control and remembering the brake is above the running boards.

The package did have a blower, but the dealer had already sold it seperately.  Bummer.

Now I need to seriously thin the rest of the herd.

18 minutes ago, GregB said:

27hp gas Kawasaki

You're going to love it!

If you do notice over time, the starter solenoid clicking it is not the solenoid.  There is too much of a voltage drop due to all the safety switches & after some time, this will occur.  There is a relay kit for $85.00 that is a plug & play unit that will take care of the issue.  Deere offers the same kit for less & many have made there own.

Did that to the dealer when I  went to pick it up.  He blamed safety switches gummed up from lack of use.

Go any numbers for either Kit?  Is it sort of like the fix Al Eden had posted about years ago?

Awesome! Took me a while to get used to the foot hydro. I never use brake except to park. If I want to stop quick I tap the rev pedal. I like to do a full service whenever I get a new machine just so I have a baseline. Josh and I made a chart with all XL Part numbers. Ill see if I can find it. Enjoy that thing!

Sam,

Already has crossed my mind..................

But need to free up space, and $

Edited by GregB

20 hours ago, GregB said:

Did that to the dealer when I  went to pick it up.  He blamed safety switches gummed up from lack of use.

Go any numbers for either Kit?  Is it sort of like the fix Al Eden had posted about years ago?

Simplicity Part # 1686945 - $83.00.  There is a Deere one for less but I don't know the Part #. 

@Bill725 & myself installed these about the same time & it fixed the problem instantly.

Yes this is the same fix talked about by Al in the past.  @SmilinSam has also posted about making them himself for much less.

Here are three topics that discuss this issue.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/60504-legacy-starter-relay-kit/?tab=comments#comment-483411

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/17019-selenoid-contacts-corroded/?tab=comments#comment-257066

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/49095-the-next-failure-in-my-sunstar-saga-electrical/?tab=comments#comment-107427

Shaun,

Thanks for the links, I checked on the web the Deere kit is P/N AM107421 about half the price of Simplicity parts.

Or I might just follow the diagrams I also found, using Relay from auto store.

Right now I am wishing I had a hoe attachment.  Need to move it sideways 4 feet or so for access to my property when I have the drive paved next year

29A663EC-0623-4729-ABD6-29BFD26D1387.jpeg

35E713BE-D24A-4C17-B99D-CCCE42218DB6.jpeg

79AB3640-2FA6-48C2-9EF7-C28F7C254D81.jpeg

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, ShaunE said:

Oh Boy!

What he said!  That's a doozie.  The BH would move it, but you would need to anchor the tractor to a vehicle or something.  The backhoe can handle the tractor like a ragdoll.

The hoe could have eliminated most of the hand digging to reveal the full stone that was buried.

Got the ends under cut for pulling straps.

Hope to pull it with the 12,000 lb pull truck winch on the front of the 2500HD Silverado.

Rough guess is it weighs ~2000 or so based on 150lbs/cu ft for limestone.

Then I will use the bucket to backfill around the stone.

The  "Popemobile" cab?  Sorry not for me.  I'm cool with the soft side cab I got that's lighter, and probably easier to remove and store.

They improved the design from the Large frame series by using box tubing.  Looks like you can leave the mounts on the tractor and just remove the uprights, hardtop, and windshield.

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1

Hahahaha I love my popemobile cab! Soft cab is definitely easier to store and lighter. Acoording to josh the glass cab comes right off.....I wouldn't know yet! 

Yeah I'll never use a soft or semi-soft cab again.  The hard cab just blows my mind.  Mine is off with 4 bolts.  2 up front and 2 beneath the seat.  The hardest part is the electrical connections, but I would like to make up a harness that stays on the tractor to fix that.  I do have to hookup my coolant lines to the cab heater, but I have that down to only a minute or two.  Storing it is a pain, but I found storing my soft cab a pain anyhow.  I roll my hard cab off the back and lay it on it's backside on a pallet covered in cardboard, to prevent scratches.  I pop the doors off first and they slide into any corner hiding spot I can find.  Then I usually end up putting some other storage items inside the cab and put it up on a rack out of the way.  I actually have two of them here right now...