Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Unusual Tiller Accessory

AC716

I bought a set of tiller tines to go on my tiller. These are part of the set. Anyone shed some light on these? Been around farming and garden equipment all my life. Never saw these till I bought them. Have not had any luck on internet. However they will be modified to fit and run just to see.

20180809_174608.jpg

20180809_174613.jpg

Edited by AC716

We had a set a lot like that on a walk behind used for breaking up hard packed ground. I was too young at the time so I don't know if they were bought or made

The tiller was used to help dig foundation footings for houses and such. Some of the red clay around here is almost as hard as concrete.

Maybe these are for breaking hard pack.

22 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

If your running those on hard pack you better hold on tight especially if they are on a walk behind. 

Yeah.That's true.

I witnessed them several times grab a  root or a rock and throw the really big man that ran that tiler. I was too young for that, thankfully.  I was a shovel operator. Highly trained, could handle both pointed and flat shovel!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

How much do you want for them? I have been looking for a set for my early 60s Merry Tiller for a while. Almost there. Need an outside, would buy outer or inner. Also looking for a set of Merry wheels, have the plow, need wheels to go with it. I assume the plow and wheels will be useless, but would like to show them, anyway

On 9/27/2018 at 12:29 PM, Talntedmrgreen said:

Rich for the win! @B-16_IC

fMerry_Tiller_Suburban__225_CharlotteBelm_59d19d748635d.jpg.423345f2374e7e87e1615963b7d4e1a7.jpg

According to this photo i have half of the set. However the tilling tines are the same color and same amount of rust. It looked to me they were for the same machine. The tiller tines have a larger bore. Gotta check some more. I will post the picks of the other set of tines I got.

• Like 3

I found that older merry tillers only had one set at a time installed. The flat blade type that we are used to and the set i pictured. I found one that refered to the round tines as cultivators. That makes sense to me. If only the round set is installed they are under the tiller and would break up the middle of the row without digging up the plants.

• 3 months later...

I got my first Merry tiller in 1980. I was looking at them, because my Dad had one, and after I got my own place a couple hundred miles away, I wanted one. At the time, they were available at a dealer close to me for prices starting at $375, too high for a young man starting out in a marriage and a new job. My neighbor said his mother bought a tiller the year before, was only a 3 HP, thought she could handle it, could not, and wanted to sell it for $200.A 3 HP Merry tiller will work circles around a 6 HP worm drive. I buy and sell them when I can find them. Have 2 extra frames right now, building engines for both, and sold one recently. You folks using Troy-Bilts, have never dug as much, as deep, as a 3 HP Merry will do. I also inherited an old 1980s Troy-Bilt, used it once, start it now and then to keep the engine from locking up, because my Merry tiller works circles around it.

The only 2 1/2 HP I have ever seen had a Clinton engine, 3 HP was a Briggs, and the landscape tractor is a 5 HP Briggs, with a jack shaft. I am going to break the case on a 5 HP soon, to free the chain up, will post pics if any interest. My wife informed me yesterday that I will be planting a garden this year, but I had to keep it clean like her uncle's garden. That garden is tended between the rows, when I cut the grass at a yard close to it. I cut the grass between the rows! I do not think he knows what a crook neck plow is.