Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck spring issues.

fishnwiz

Neighbor called and told me he broke two tensioner pulley springs on an early 90s Broadmoor deck past two weeks. I have not had a chance to look at the deck but was wondering if an Arbor failure could cause this symptom to occur? 

I am thinking maybe the  idle pulley itself could cause the spring failure if it freezes up or would it just melt the belt? 

I am looking for another spring.  Original spring is about 5" long and 1" round.  The spring is hooked to a lever with a mounted idler pulley on one end and is looped over a deck belt guide on the other end and you push the lever inward in order to get slack in the deck drive belt so you can slip it over the PTO drive pulley. 

Will post pics when I gain access to the deck in question.

Trying to get a jump on troubleshooting this issue as I really don't have time or desire to be messing with neighbors deck due to 12hrs days. 7 days a week at my real job.9_9

Edited by fishnwiz

Not sure if this is the case but I remember if I put a rubber belt not a simplicity or Kevlar belt on the pto of my old squire 9 that when engaging it would snap back and damn near break my wrist. That would be something the spring would not care for so make sure of the correct belt.

Harry

• Thanks 1

In the video section I have posted a You Tube on mower idler pulley repair.  This might also apply.  Just a thought.  Applies to all mower decks with auto tensioning.

10 hours ago, BLT said:

In the video section I have posted a You Tube on mower idler pulley repair.  This might also apply.  Just a thought.  Applies to all mower decks with auto tensioning.

Thanks Robert. ..I did get a shot at the deck today and replaced the idler pulley even though it seems ok. Both arbors on the 2 blade deck are good. 

I replaced older spring with newer heavier style so will see if problem is corrected or not.