Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spacers/Dual adaptors.....get your rulers out plea

SmilinSam

Talking with JP Scheel about making me some adaptors and we need the inside diameter and thickness of the pipes on them and the total length. Also need to know if the Spacers sold with the Loader attachments are the same length as the adaptors in the dual wheel kits. Could also use information on the lengths of the adaptors used on Cub cadet and other brands as well. As far as price goes, I myself -being in need, would give as much as $150 for a pair new.( I have bid used ones to $75+ without any success at all) Those of you who have been looking like I have, whats an acceptable price for this unavailable accesory considering what new stuff (that is available)is bringing? Any and all input would be appreciated

Sam, I think Sandy Lake was/is offering a Repro kit for around $200. You know the deal...... How bad does somebody want/need anything? How scarce / rare are they? What would they cost new if they were still available? Could you make them yourself? How long would it take? How much would a shop charge to make one set? Where would you get plans / dimensions? If I needed a pair, $150-$200 would seem reasonable.

Some time ago I posted about spacers that came with a L-10 loader. I was told they are 3 1/4 inches wide from outside of the flange to outside of flange. If you measure the outside to outside rear tire width, and add the spacers widths it adds up to the width of the bucket on the loader. I went to a local shop we use at work to fabricate fixtures. They charged me $50 to use their abrasive water jet machine to cut me the four flanges from my 1/2" thick plate. The machine is pretty amazing. The cut surface finish is great. The only problem is about .005 taper in holes they also punched for the bolt hole circle. For the center dia I just used the OD of the pipe that will be soon welded in place. Its ID just clears the axle flange casting. Hopefully in a week or two I will have them finished.

Next weekend here in South Central PA there is a tractor show called the Littleguys show. It is only for Lawn and garden size tractors. It is held just outside of York PA. Every year there is usually a couple of guys in the flea market area with wheel adaptors/spacers. I will try to remember to take along a tape measure and get some sizes. I seem to remember some postings on other web boards about dual wheel adaptors, I think some of the other tractor manufacturers still sell these as an option. My memory is fuzzy but Wheel Horse sticks in my mind.

Here is a set. This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/For_sale_ad.asp?MsgID=3224&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/For_sale_ad.asp?MsgID=3224&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

One correction to my measurements above. The tube stock is 3/16th thick, not the 5/16ths I originally indicated.

Sam, I have a pair of the Sandy Lake repros. According to Sandy, they were manufactured to original dimensions. The inner diameter of the pipe is 2.5" The pipe stock width is 5/16". The total length of the pipe, which fits into the two flanges and is therefore the total width of the spacer is just slightly more than 6 and 5/16 inches. The width of the flange stock is 11/32", and the diameter of the flanges is 5.25". Regards - Jeff

Hi Sam, I have thought a number of times about buying a set of dual wheel spacers I've seen on Ebay myself. The thing that has stopped me is that the original spacers are only about 6 3/8" long, like Jeff says. I have a hard time figuring how they would work on my tires that are 8" wide. I have a set of the original 2 sided wheel studs for them, but that will only add an additional 5/8" to there length, totaling to about 7 inches. The only thing left is the rim thickness, but that is minimal. Where would the required additional 1 inch in length come from? I thought of flipping the inside rims around, but this seems like it will conflict with the tiller or other moving parts. I somewhat figured that the original dual wheel spacers were to be used only with the older more narrow tires and rims. I also do know that the loader spacers were narrower and were only used to space the inner tires out from the chassis and loader sub frame. Dan

My mention of Dan Hoefler's quality is based upon his Cub Cadet Crawler and testimony from purchasers on the Cub Cadet side of the fence...Woody

Cub Cadet 100 Crawler done by Dan Hoefler[A href='http://www.ihcubcadet.com/crawler100.htm'][img src='http://www.ihcubcadet.com/Crawler.jpg'][/a]

My understanding is that the original AC dual adaptors were meant to dual up a 23"x6"x12" to another 23"x6"x12" or a 23"x8.50"x12". I have never seen where the factory meant to dual up two 23"x8.50"x12"'s.

Sam, Dan Hoefler makes adaptors of very fine quality of varying widths and sells them. Here's his email address. dan.hoefler@menasha.com .....Woody

Sam, if you lay a straight edge across the outside of your rim and measure to the lug hole on the single tire, and do the same on the inside of the rim for your dual, add the two #'s you should have your tottal length...MPH

Here's a diagram that Maynard (UCD) just sent me... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/spacers_diagram.jpg

Dan asked earlier in the thread where the necessary extra inch beyond 6 and 3/8ths comes from for spacing two 23 x 8.5 x 12s. I forgot to mention that my spacers came with lug nuts that are threaded on both ends and have a hexagonal stock 1" spacer welded in the middle. You take off your original lug nuts, bolt these through the inner wheel, place the spacer on these studs, fasten it with hex cap screws, and then use the original lug nuts to bolt the outer wheel onto the outside of the spacer which has threaded holes. There are pictures under the early 70's Simplicity implements section on this site that appear to me to show either two 23x8.5x12s dualed or two 23x10.5x12s. Haven't used mine yet.