Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Heater Kohler Command 25

dvdriz

I need some ideas that have anyone has had success with. I'm going to park my tractor in a storage shed that does have power. Has anyone had success with keeping an air cooled engine warm in the winter for easy starting? It gets pretty cold here in Michigan. I'm looking at a few options but I'm not sure if they will work with an air cooled engine. Anyone?

I had alwasy been curious about some of the magnetic oil pan heaters, and have heard from folks who simply laid a heating blanket over their motor.  Those blankets draw a lot more amps though.  

I personally have never had a hard time starting any of my Commands, and have had several CH25's in legacy's.  I have typically let them run and warm up a bit before loading them.  It's often at or below 0 degrees here.

• Like 1

I've tried the stick on magnetic ones, along with putting my "milk house" 1500w heater near it before getting going.  Noticeable results, but nothing compares to keeping the battery on a tender, switching to a lighter synthetic oil, and making sure the clutch is pushed in.  NW WI and I've blown plenty of snow on those windy -20 or -30 mornings that drifted over the driveway.  

I have the Command 20 in my tractor and I cover it with a tarp or blanket and place a lamp under it with a 65 or 100 watt bulb in it for awhile before I'm going to use it. It has worked fine and it gets cold here in Manitoba.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Going to be tough to use many of the above options without access to electric. 

He mentioned that the shed has power.

I always use a basic trouble light, tucked right against the front of the engine, then drape a moving blanket over the hood.  Using only a 40 watt bulb, I keep the light on for most of the winter.

Blanket or rug over tractor 

milk house heater under

keeps oil warm in hydrostatic too

otherwise it whines till it warms up

The thing that has made the biggest difference for me  in easier starts in the winter cold is switching to synthetic oil in the engines. on my  air cooled snow equipment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, puttputt said:

He mentioned that the shed has power.

Looking back now you're absolutely right. I thought I read  "does not have power."  

Unless you are in Pellston or the UP, it doesn't typically get cold enough in MI to worry about it if the equipment is in good condition.  If it is hard to start in the summer, you will likely not have fun this winter.  The 18hp Command in my Sovereign is just fine in an unheated garage.  Like Josh said, give it a minute or two to warm up before loading it, but I also run synthetic oil in it.  Some of the above heating methods are fairly risky for fires in my opinion.

I sure like the light bulb idea with a blanket. It does start instantly in the summer and even without choking it. I think that along with the synthetic oil would make it a lot easier on the equipment. Good ideas from this group!

If you have room the stick on heating pads work very well.  I have on on my skid steer with a NHC Onan engine.  It draws 150 watts and can be left on over night.  The engine is warm to the touch in the morning in my unheated and uninsulated garage.  The pad heats the oil and the warm oil heats the rest of the engine.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/kats-silicone-heat-pad-24150/11124533-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=11124533-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl9zdBRDgARIsAL5Nyn0VCQq7ODkE-FxdKeFq2OfqfRHZmUtoDr2z6ZYk29zUfhqFzxMH2_IaAi11EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLLtmLbT8N0CFY2hewodwmgFcg

Ken