Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 1 Cylinder Briggs Running Problem

SimpleMan83

I recently added this 89ish 7116 to my fleet so my Champion XT did not have to do all the dirty work.

I initially had problems where the tractor would start fine at times, but intermittently  start missing and run rough, sometimes after being used for a short while. It would clear up after it sat sometimes. Had someone diagnose it as the coil, so I had help and we removed engine to replace the coil. 

Started up beautiful and ran great. 

I have been trying to use her around the house, and basically it has developed new symptoms such as long crank time, sometimes not starting at all, (which it never had before coil install) and also it will just run perfect and then seems like it loses spark and instantly dies. In yesterday’s case, it fired back up fine 1 hour after sitting. Again, these symptoms differ because it used to run like crap. After coil install, when it runs it is perfect. Just hoping for some guidance. Did we maybe not get the coil gapped properly? I just don’t see why it doesn’t start at all sometimes and why it will die. 

I did have another repair facility repair the ignition because it would not shut off, and repair the starter because it was making a loud noise. Not sure if any of those could contribute to possible spark problems. The spark does seem weak when it does not run.

Thanks for your help.

-Sovereign Noob-

I have a few question.

Where did the coil come from? Is it a known oem or a Chinese knock off?

It could very well be a faulty coil.

A gap issue is possible but usually it either works or it doesn't. I like to use a business card to set my gap in a pinch. Put the card on the flywheel and set the coil onto the mount. Tighten the coil once it is snug and turn the flywheel, verify the flywheel does not come into contact with the coil. Works very well.

Best of luck to you

It almost sounds like the coil is getting hot and failing, BUT, that does not explain the hard cold start.  

Check to make sure both legs of the coil are the same distance from the flywheel.  I had a chainsaw that started hard with that problem.  Cold there be a wire from the point or other wires that may be shorting to the engine?  Intermittent short???  Check to make sure it gets fuel.  Check the gas cap for plugged vent holes.

Ken

Hello;;

When it dies , immediately check for spark. Also , I had a stuck exhaust valve to that to my Briggs as well. 

Dissolve the varnish on the valve stem and good to go.

Hope this helps.