Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
apeterson17

Sunstar balljoint

apeterson17

Recently had a balljoint break off the tie rod of my Simplcity Sunstar 20 (nice little streak across my front yard where the wheels were headed different directions). The cup was worn and opened enough to ‘drop the ball’ (badum-tss). Anyone have a lead on a good price for these?  Finding mid 30s-low 40s. Local dealer is saying 95. That’s obscene for a balljoint IMO. Also, any interim rigging that will work for me to get another mow before I replace? Any tips on replacing? Thinking a witness mark on the tie rod should suffice. Should I replace both?

apeterson17

Not sure the answer, soaking in blaster right now and eyes aren’t great. Good watch out bc I hadn’t considered it...not sure if my answer determines your response or if it was just more a statement as written

SimpleOrange
2 hours ago, apeterson17 said:

Not sure the answer, soaking in blaster right now and eyes aren’t great. Good watch out bc I hadn’t considered it...not sure if my answer determines your response or if it was just more a statement as written

Just alluding you to the possibilities when your ordering a new ball joint, one side will be right hand thread and one side will be left hand.

Some steering geometry may use right hand threads both sides of the tie rod then depend on a pal nut to keep everything in adjustment.

Edited by SimpleOrange

Alltractoredup

I also have a Sunstar I will be replacing the ball joints on.  The part number from partstree is 1677206SM , which is different than another member suggested.  I have not removed mine yet to measure, but I would imagine all sunstars have the same.  Have you ordered them yet?  I hope the above part number works since they are a lot cheaper

SimpleOrange

Parts Tree uses OEM part numbers.

One end of your tie rod as I mentioned above is probably left hand thread with a right hand threaded ball joint on the opposing end.

It will be the female portion of this ball joint that is left hand thread.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/QA1-BJGL6-Grommet-style-Ball-Joint-Carbon-Steel-with-a-3-8-24-LH-Thread/263973028267?epid=501418566&hash=item3d7604c1ab:g:nm0AAOSwWB5btgRV

left.png

• Like 1

SimpleOrange

Think of your tire rod being a turnbuckle with one left and a right hand threaded ends.

By turning the centerpiece both ends retract or extend, this is how you adjust your alignment without having to remove the ball joints.

buckle.png

dhoadley
11 hours ago, apeterson17 said:

Balljoints on mine are both RH thread with set nuts

image.jpg

I was of the impression he was talking about the other part where the tie rod screws in.

apeterson17
1 hour ago, dhoadley said:

I was of the impression he was talking about the other part where the tie rod screws in.

As am I; there are no set nuts pictured. They are still on the tie rod. Was showing wear in the photo. See photos below for RH thread proof

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by apeterson17