Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 700 - a bit dissappointing

Brent_Baumer

Drove 6 hours today, 5 1/2 of it in the rain, to pick up my "1959 Simplicity 700" supposedly in good shape and all original. Well, the serial # is 5960, and if the others like it in the registry are accurate, it's probably a 1960 not a 1959. The seller claims the original owners said it was a 1959. Brought my Briggs book with me. Checked the model and code #'s. Hmmm. It's got a 1973, 20 cu. in. 8hp motor. Again, not original. The hood is pretty dented in on the top but I think I can fix it. If not, a body shop probably can. Otherwise in decent shape for its age but not great. The 42" mower deck is in really good shape. Also came with a 42" snowblade and counterweight which I'm selling to offset some of the overpayment I made by making a deal sight unseen. Chalk this one up as a learning experience. I plan on restoring and keeping for show, unless I get "an offer I can't refuse" someday. At least I'm gonna finally find out what it's like to drive a tractor without running boards! Brent

Hi Brent, Sorry to hear of your disapointment - sounds like a long trip. I have to tell you I bought a 62/63 725 with a '74 20 cu.in briggs ( I did know B-4 I bought that it was not original) and I love it. I also have a simp 2012 but I use the 725 as much as I can because it's easier to drive & much less complicated to work on. Sorry it's not what you thought is was, but, I'll bet that if you start using it you'll like it! Good luck, John(ri)

Brent, tried to check your profile to see if you have a grader blade but your parameter is incorrect, whatever that means...Sorry the 700 was less than you expected but if you do have a grader blade try it on there, real nice for down presure. WELCOME to the footdraggers club....MPH

Marty, I do have a grader blade now. Picked one up at an auction a month or so ago. I'm pretty sure it will work on the 700. I know it fits the 916H and 3416H. I loaned the 916H w/ grader to my brother last weekend to spread 12 tons of #53 crushed limestone. Did a great job of it. Brent

I picked up a 725 Saturday to eventually resell. Not too bad but no grill. Tin is not bad, engine( a newer 8hp replacement also) was overhauled and has no time on it because it will not run. Generator was rebuilt also and has all new belts. Owner said it wouldn't run right since the rebuild. The way He described it I would guess the magnamatic ignition could be out of time. I will drop a 12V coil on it and try it with battery ignition. The big drag here is that somewhere along the way they cut the crankshaft off at the shoulder. Makes you wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

Had to go deep into Ohio. It's the tractor that was on ebay a couple weeks ago that got no bids. I made a deal with the guy to meet me halfway. 3 hours drive one way for both of us. Brent

Brent, If you remember, I picked up my second model 700 from a Chinese gentleman down the road. That tractor has a 8 HP replacement engine. The tractor runs like a dream. Don't let the wrong engine bother you too much. I remember your tractor on Ebay. The hood was punched down on top. What I liked the most was it being 1.3 miles from my driveway. It might make you feel better to remember my disappointment in Waterloo,NY with Paul Jackson's Mower Service and him not having Homelite attachments as stated over the phone...Woody