Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mp38allis

ISO 46, Dexron/Mercon, Type F?

RAC

Type F at Rural King or NAPA (just changed the Legacy, got it at Rural King).  Actual Hydro unit will take almost anything. Could run something like Case-IH HyTran, or equivalent but should flush everything out if switching fluid types. Little less high speed gear noise with Tractor hydraulic fluids than type F (marginally heavier weight)

deebig
12 hours ago, dhoadley said:

I got a gallon of "Hydrolic Fluid" at TSC. Works great.

^^^ + + + ^^^ Type F is for transmissions with clutch packs and has friction modifiers added......hydraulic oil provides better lubrication.

• Like 1

TimJr

I wish we could attach PDF files.  I have some Simplicity literature that tells what oils go in what trans.  It is interesting that the 7100 style tractors, and the Sunstar style tractors use the same Sundstrand model 15 hydro, yet they specify different oils.  The 7000/7100 style tractors call for Simplicity MultiPurpose hydraulic oil, which I believe is a light tan/clear trans/hydraulic fluid. The Sunstar and early Legacy call for Type F automatic trans fluid, which is obviously the red fluid.

John Deere used the same style of HST in the 316/318/420 tractors.  Deere stopped using red ATF in the early 90's and subbed the Low Viscosity Hy-Gard, if memory serves me correctly.  

Personally, I would run the tan trans/hydraulic fluid.  Deere Lo-Vis HyGard is in mine since it is easier for me to get where I live.  Going cheap on oils is dumb.  None of it cost too much compared to roaching a hydro over low quality oil.  I always use an OEM filter for the same reasons.

As stated above, if it had red ATF in it, you should flush as best as possible, and then do a short change on it after the new fluid picks up the remainder of the red ATF that is in the system that just can't be drained.  If you have hydraulic lift, you have all the lines, the valve and the cylinder still full of the old oil.

LMichaels

Type F is a very old Ford automatic trans spec oil. It was superseded by Mercon which is not backward compatible to F. Dexron/Mercon are very nearly the same spec which is why you see them listed together on most trans fluid. IT is engineered for softer clutch engagement where as F was engineered for much sharper engagement. We regularly used F in our old Turbo 400 units with shift modifications when drag racing to give very hard shifts

• Like 1

deebig
11 hours ago, LMichaels said:

Type F is a very old Ford automatic trans spec oil. It was superseded by Mercon which is not backward compatible to F. Dexron/Mercon are very nearly the same spec which is why you see them listed together on most trans fluid. IT is engineered for softer clutch engagement where as F was engineered for much sharper engagement. We regularly used F in our old Turbo 400 units with shift modifications when drag racing to give very hard shifts

You are absolutely correct.  "ATF is very complex fluid compared to normal hydraulic fluids. The first difference is the FRICTION properties. ATF have to allow certain FRICTION for clutch and at the same time low friction for other components. Have to BALANCE static coefficient of FRICTION and dynamic coefficient of FRICTION.  Conventional hydraulic fluid use ZDDP for anti-wear properties, but ATFs contain very small quantities of zinc additives (ZDDP). ATF also have fairly high quantities of detergents. They are VI improved fluids and contain high dose of VI improvers. May lose viscosity due to shearing of VI improvers. Above all, different OEMS have different requirements and is an OEM specific fluid compared to hydraulic fluids." FRICTION is a dirty word in the world of lubrication!

• Thanks 1

mp38allis

Thank you all for your input on this. As a Ford mechanic, I know that "Type F" trans fluid has friction modifiers to make clutch packs in auto trannys grab differently than other trans fluids. I've read that Simplicity recommended Type F. In theory, friction modifiers may cause undue wear in orifices in the hydraulic system. I'm going to try Universal Trans/Hydraulic Tractor fluid. I'm not sure what viscocity it is, but I'm going to use my 7117H to move snow. I'm also going to use it in the summer for cutting grass and plowing (and what-not). Is there ANY reason that universal will not work?

Tom45

Universal Trans / hydraulic  fluid is what I and some others use in the hydrostatic.  In cold winter weather it may be a little stiff until it warms up but in the hot summer it is more viscus than ATF.  Since it lubricates both the hydrostatic and rear axle gears I prefer it to ATF.