Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

johnny bucket hydraulic pump 7116

Jim J

I am considering a Johnny Bucket Jr for my 7116 with 16 hp Briggs; has anyone added a hydraulic pump to the front of the engine, seems there is enough space to add a belt driven pump; any comments on Johnny Bucket installation and use will be helpful; hoping to making it full hydraulic not manual   

Edited by Jim J

I have one, but it lifts off the hydrolift and dumps with an actuator.  Are you looking at a new one of used one?  If new, I think you should be looking at the Johnny bucket jr, not the sr.

The earliest versions on the Jr bucket that Rich mentioned were rope trip dump, and lifted either by hand or the hydro lift if your tractor has that.

I used my Jonny bucket on my Allis 716-6 speed, manual lift. Same tractor as your simplicity.  I changed the way the cable for the one point rear lift hitch, to be able to use counter weights to ease the manual lift force.  Did that until I got the 917 with hydro lift.

I was going to retro-fit an actuator for the dump like the newer ones , but bought a Legacy XL with a regular loader set-up.

Welcome to the site, lots of information here.  Some you need to be a member to access, best $10 a year I spend.

Greg

thanks

I was not sure how the manual lift worked I want to try to make it all work with switches and stay away from manual

do you have any pics of it

Thanks

Jim

Welcome to the site!  Lots of friendly people and even more amazing knowledge here.

Like I said, I think you may be looking at the Johnny bucket sr for larger tractors with auxiliary hydraulics.  There is an electrically lifted for older models, but I believe the one for 7116's lifts off the tractor.  I'm sure you could adapt anything you want but if you're buying new, why bother.

There is an arm coming off the right side of the Johnny Bucket that will connect to a lift rod, very similar to that of a snowblower or front blade, that will lift the bucket.  Dumping is done with a linear actuator controlled from a switch you add somewhere.  That actuator is on the left side of the bucket.  It should come with a harness and you just run it to the battery and out to the connection by the actuator.  It is more than powerful enough.  I have the standard (not 2x speed) dump and while faster would be nice, it does it's job just fine.  You're not operating this to run an efficient job site, just to save your back and replace shoveling into a wheelbarrow.  

If your tractor is manual lift, same thing, you're just using your arm instead of the hydrolift.  You can convert a manual tractor to hydrolift pretty easily, I've done it.  Message me and/or search here.  It's not that bad and if you're interested, I have a complete hydrolift conversion on the shelf I don't need.  

One word of advice, if you're hoping this is going to replace a proper front end loader, even just a light 500lb lift one, it won't.  It's useful, but you aren't going to scoop a bucket full of dirt or rock from a pile, and digging is limited skimming off layers.  If you want a powered wheelbarrow, you'll be pleasantly surprised by all the extra stuff you can do with it.  Just remember it isn't a loader or excavator.  The belly mount grader is better at scraping, and a front blade is better at pushing.

Edited by rich_kildow
  • Like 1

I'll have to dig for pictures of the Bucket or take new.

But is your 7116 a hydro trans of a gear trans?

It will make a difference on what your options are for lifting. 

Options are hydro lift off trans, if you have a hydro without a hydro lift it can be converted as noted above. 

If you have a gear trans, you could add the electric lift that was available.