Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rebuild loader cylinders?

jrmorrill

Has anyone here rebuilt hydraulic cylinders?

In particular those used on the old loaders from the 1960s. My left cylinder is leaking now. And, honestly, this machine needs a good rebuild anyway. The pump needs an overhaul too - so any tips there are welcome.

IMG_8235a.thumb.jpg.28cb41741e49839a3fd4f24a1d84ea29.jpg

After you disassemble the cylinder take it to a hydraulic shop and have them hone the inside for you.

If you find the tub is so badly pitted you can have a new tubes fitted to the clevis end, threaded for the gland end.

I've rebuilt several Ark cylinders but not one of those.  It's pretty simple just messy.  On the Ark's, you need to make sure you remove the 90 degree fitting before you attempt to remove the cylinder as well as the snap ring or spanner collar depending on which you have.  I would say the pump is probably alright unless it's leaking from the main seal.  Most likely, I would look at the spool valve.  Over time, they lose spring tension in the relief valve on them & need to be shimmed with small SS washers to regain lifting capacity.

When I first saw this, I thought it was a Danco but realized it's not but the principal will be the same.  If you can disassemble one of the cylinders, it will give you the quantity & size of the O-rings per cylinder.  They don't have to be anything other than Buna N.  Viton is not needed but some will argue.  There will also be two smaller O-rings per spool in the spool valve.  One will be on the spool & the other will be in the block.  

I sure hope this helps you.

Edited by ShaunE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've rebuilt a couple of Danco cylinders, I also have a complete set of seals and O-rings to build another set.

All I've seen so far are relatively the same here's O-rings and seals for Danco, they're fairly easy to rebuild once you get 1/8" lock out

DSCN2650.JPG

DSCN2651.JPG

Edited by 720nut

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 6:41 AM, 720nut said:

I've rebuilt a couple of Danco cylinders, I also have a complete set of seals and O-rings to build another set.

All I've seen so far are relatively the same here's O-rings and seals for Danco, they're fairly easy to rebuild once you get 1/8" lock out

DSCN2650.JPG

DSCN2651.JPG

@720nut Do you have the sizes and quantities for those parts? I know several people have asked recently.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, Talntedmrgreen said:

@720nut Do you have the sizes and quantities for those parts? I know several people have asked recently.

No I don't, any knowledgeable parts guy should be able to get any you need

I got all mine at Diuble Equipment , Ann Arbor