Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity/Homelite T-12 (AC) Axle problem

gjh

Gary, See what kind of damage(if any)is inside the differential. Sounds like it has to be broke inside somewhere. I have several of these trannys for parts if needed. Sam

Took a quick look tonight & it seems as though right hand side of axle tube is sheared off just inside case. If I turn the left side of the axle tube it rotates what's left of right side. No strange noises, the neutral shift locks & unlocks. Does it sound like I just need the axle, axle tube & seals etc? I have the manual; do I have to remove the trans & dissasemble to get the tube out or can I do it with it in place? Any tips/tricks?? Thanks: Gary Hamilton Ipswich, MA

Ive replaced several differentials, but have never had to remove an axle tube yet, so I'm about as green as you are on that. The axle tube should rotate as one unit in the transmission,i.e.: both ends sticking out will turn at the same time in the same direction. With the push lever in neutral you should be able to turn it either way. With the lever engaged you should not be able to turn it by hand easily if at all. Not sure what you mean by "whats left of the right side". Sam

Lost all drive to my wheels while bullying a pipe out of the ground this weekend. Axle tube is spinning, but no drive to the wheel. Left hub had been welded by others a while ago & has let go. If I raise rear of unit & spin wheel other one also spins (no bad sounds). Pulled axle with right hub & diff. out. One keyway on r.h. side has a chip, but the key was in. I know I need the axle, but could it be more? Dealer says it could be a broken gear in diff. Gonna split diff tonight. Anyone have any comments, suggestions?? Thanks: Gary Hamilton

So bear with my semi lack of understanding the sutuation entirely. 1) the axle itself is broke in two and you removed it by the wheel hubs pulling one half out one side and the other half out the other side. Is that right? 2) does the axle tube appear to be damaged or not? Genarally when an axle tube breaks all your oil runs out of the transmission through the tube. The tube is a one piece thing with a gear in the middle for the tranny pump to turn it and two keyways at the differentiial end to hold the differential hub on. Chances are if you don't have oil leaking all over and the tube moves back and forth while in gear when you move the hydro lever like it should, then theres nothing wrong with the tube. 3) have you looked at the guts of the differential yet? I'm beginning to think I'm more a hinderance than help......

The tube sheared off on the right side in the trans. The axle held the tube together so no oil leaked. I went to my local dealer today(Vernons in Danvers MA), been dealing in Simplicity for 60+ yrs and ordered new inner axle, axle tube, seals, keyways & gaskets. Gonna try & see if I can split the case while tranny is in tractor. About $220 in parts (ouch) dealer said it's about a $500-$600 job at $50/hr. Figure it'll take me a good long day if I don't have to drop the tranny. Hope theres no bad news inside the box. I am really surprised I didn't loose traction before it broke, I had wheel weights & 60 lbs in a milk crate but no chains. Oh well. I only paid $50 for the tractor & besides the carb rebuild this is the first thing I have had to do to it. Thanks for the support guys. P.S. Dutch, are you near the water, my Grady is begging to get wet & the bass outta be moving in in 3-4 weeks!

Sam: Whats left is a short stub, the axle sheared off about 1/2" inside case & remainder came out with hub. Doggon it; always something else to do, & I'm trying to get the cover off my boat & onto the mooring! Any help would be appreciated. Gary