Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A/C B-112 noise

RonT

How do I correct a rattling noise coming from the vari drive. The noise is comming from the front pully that comes out of the bevel gear box. The pulley has three pins in the center it only makes the noise when in neutral . Thanks Ron

Although I have a 212, I'm not a vari expert yet. I think you want to rule out bevel gear box first. This can go and make the noise there, as you describe. Check the shafts, bearings, etc. Then check the pins and holes in the vari assy in the hub. This can wear and make noise. Try listening with the belt off and see if you can pinpoint.

The noise is probably coming from the alignment pins that drive the two halves or sheaves of the pulley. When these get worn they rattle especially without a load on them. I don't think there is much you can do. Mine rattles the worst when the sheaves are together (hi-speed) and you push in the clutch. Mike S.

Might be smart to remove the pully and inspect the key for wear before it wipes out the shaft if its loose. If the alignment hole are as oblonged as mine were when I started on my B-112 its best to bite the bullet and replace the outter sheeve if your not a machinest and can bore it out and rebush. A straight 3 speed is a poor alturnative.MPH

Thanks guy's it is in the pins I will have to see what kind of machine work I can do to rebush them. Thanks Ron