Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

poly snow plow liner

AC710

Has anyone installed a liner on your snow plow? I keep my plow in the garage and wanted to make it less prone to sticking. I found two kiddie sleds for $10 and cut them to fit. I was wondering what others had used for this purpose. Waiting on snow now to see if it works and stays in place.

blade liner.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting fix, is it held on only on the bottom with the scraper edge?   I see bolts across the top but no heads on the front side.  If it is on solidly, I would guess it will work great for snow.  If used for gravel, dirt, etc it might be harder on it.  Let is know!

Steve 

It is bolted through the scraper edge and bolted across the top. The bolt heads are just not very visible due to the angle of the photo. I saw some "kits" to do this to pickup truck plows, but  they were very expensive. They included some caulking for the ends, so I assume there might be problems with snow getting between the plow and liner. We'll see. 

I picked up this plow as a package with a 7016 tractor. Wow, what a difference from the sears plow I was using - really stout! The tractor has had some poor care and jury-rigging. That will be a project. I have a good 710 that I have been using for most everything for 10 years.

I'll put my 2 cents in and say that the poly will help. If I were you I would make sure that I had a good coat of paint on the scraper and skids. You need to keep that slippery too, and with the plow being warm, everything will be exacerbated.

I like the idea of keeping the tractor warm and letting the snow all melt off the machine between uses, but would be inclined to run it out of the garage and into the great white north's elements for fifteen minutes or so before use to let the engine get good and warm, and the plow good and cold.

• Like 3

I do that with the snow blower, as in a "warmer" garage, and let sit outside for the blower to cool down, and not melt the snow all over it to freeze..

IMG_0372.JPG

• Like 1

Good idea.  My only thought would be that you could trap water between the poly and the plow, perhaps speeding rust?  

John, your drift cutters just solved a problem I've been grappling with!  I have my 36" blower that is outfitted with electric rotator and spout that one side is starting to bend in on.  I have great big aftermarket shoes on it and that helps pull it back a bit, but not enough.  Some 1/4" plate plasma cut to that shape ought to stiffen those up immensely.   I don't think I'll extend up the way you did as I have several mailboxes I actually run the side of the blower under to clean up around.

1 hour ago, JohnMBerst said:

I do that with the snow blower, as in a "warmer" garage, and let sit outside for the blower to cool down, and not melt the snow all over it to freeze..

IMG_0372.JPG

The weather cooperated and I got a couple inches of wet, sticky snow to try this out.  The snow was so sticky that it piled up in front of the blade, but did not stick to it. Having a sharper angle blade really helped! This blade is such an improvement over what I was using that I wish I had found one sooner. Simp/AC tractors are rather rare in our part of Montana.

My garage is usually in the 40 degree range so not too much cooling is needed. I think this will work very well.

Nice setup with the snowblower! I would like to get one, although the plow works great here where deep dumps of snow are unusual. More normal are weeks where it snows a few inches every day, resulting in two feet of snow. If I don't keep up, I wind up with 6-inches of ice pack. 

One other difference with this plow is that only a short throw of the lift is required so it is much faster than what I had before. Good and bad, I have to really watch out that it doesn't rip up my lawn.

Rich, I had done the same thing, as do about 5 driveways in the neighborhood.  And you learn yours the best....  Hit a decorative rock and bent/pushed one side in a bit.  Got the idea to help "see" the ends of the blower, and help strengthen the sides.  The height does fit below mail box, but IF done again, would make a bit shorter.  Also was 10ga material. 

Thanks.

It would need to be significantly smoother than a line-x type product to not promote snow adhering to it.  At that point, you're right back to paint, which we still all look for ways to slicken (new word!) up even further.  I always spray mine down with whatever dry film/teflon lubricant I have laying around and have very few issues, but I've always wondered about Fluid Film. 

I know that comes in large area spray applicators and a gallon refill, as well as aerosols.  I think it's Lanolin based.  I use Lanolin for swaging bullets and it works extremely well, so I imagine that would be a very effective and persistent product on a plow/blower.

I had also seen something on line called a "deer sleigh'r" that I think would be large enough to do this in one piece. It is a roll-up plastic deer drag that is basically a piece of stiff poly with grommets and a tow strap that you wrap around a dead animal . They sell for around $30, but I could not find one in the stores, and didn't want to order on line without checking it out. I also considered clear lexan, used for greenhouses, etc. That might work but is very stiff and I thought it might crack in the cold. The ads claim it is virtually unbreakable. It costs a little more than the deer sleigh'r.

I have seen a deer sleigh'r-type rig used by EMT's packing hurt people out of the back country like a spinal backboard. Those of course cost hundreds.image.jpeg.f4315b1755e32ad29dc21f0b314394dd.jpeg

I only spent a couple of hours installing this, including drilling and fitting. Once done you could easily remove it for dirt work or blade maintenance.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:56 AM, JohnMBerst said:

IMG_0372.JPG

Shame to get this ole girl dirty, nice dOd

• 3 weeks later...

Update on stickiness:

We had a couple of inches of very heavy, very sticky snow. Rolling up on tires, sticking on everything, making big snowman clods...BUT it did NOT stick to the snowplow liner or the cutter bar. I'm marking this up as a success! We'll see what happens when it gets colder, but I am optimistic it will work good for that, too.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

UPDATE ON THE PLOW LINER

I used this liner all winter - probably plowed 2-3 times per week for 4 months. Nothing stuck to it - warm, cool, cold, frigid and slushy. It worked great! Only one negative, a little snow gets between liner and plow on the ends. I added a couple of bolts on each end and that helped. It would be good if the plastic material was a little stiffer. The kiddie sleds are pretty light weight. I did some dirt work with it this summer and the rock and dirt deformed the plastic a little, but it still looks good.

Not sure of the blade and "liner" thickness, but could you use a car door edging to help keep the snow and dirt from gathering between the blade and liner.  I know many auto parts stores sell this, as used on my car.  Also had an adhesive "inside" to help hold in place.  Or some other alternate edging.

2 hours ago, JohnMBerst said:

Not sure of the blade and "liner" thickness, but could you use a car door edging to help keep the snow and dirt from gathering between the blade and liner.  I know many auto parts stores sell this, as used on my car.  Also had an adhesive "inside" to help hold in place.  Or some other alternate edging.

That is a good idea and probably worth a try. I have seen plow liners for pickup plows that have some kind of edging like you suggest,  or an adhesive, but those kits are way more than I want to spend. Whatever is used would have to be very secure, since side casting would put a direct force acting to strip it off the end of the plow - compared to a car door where it just needs to stay in place. I figured since the sleds are designed to be slippery, probably not much would stick to it very well.

Actually it is not much of a problem since I added the extra bolts. It's weird, when snow is wet you can see the bolt-head grooves in the sidecast snow as it leaves the plow edge., and they're just 3/16" round head screws.