Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity broadmoor demonstrator

roybilt

Can anyone tell me exactly what I just bought? I understand that it's a Simplicity Broadmoor, roughly 1964/5, 6 hp, electric start, and has hubcaps. Is this a common tractor? There is no numbers in the serial number spot of the tag and it says demonstrator on both sides of the frame. Have I found a lost gem, or just hauled home some more clutter?

Thanks,

Roy

received_278045269381442.jpeg

received_1774293299348007.jpeg

received_334826957296649.jpeg

received_314585606032677.jpeg

received_327030624547325.jpeg

• Like 1

They were used by dealers for customers to try out so they could experience what we have all experienced with these great machines. They are somewhat rare. Although I don’t know how many were made. 

Very cool.  The serial numbers are not always easy to see - if you look at the tag in just the right light, sometimes you can still see the numbers there.  

What size are the rear tires?  I have one, and have see one or two more black dash Broadmoor's that had 17x9.50-8 rear tires rather than the 18x9.50-8 tire that later ones had.

And as stated above, Demonstrator tractors were part of a factory to dealer program.  It is odd if there truly was not a serial number on it.  Even if it had a serial, there is no real way to translate a Simplicity serial number into anything useful.  The only thing it is good for now is within the Registry to know that a given number exists yet, and to get a relative idea how early or late it is numerically speaking.

• Thanks 1

Nice looking tractor. Even appears to have the original oil bath air filter which is pretty scarce. I have one of these as well. Also no legible serial number. 

Thanks guys. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it come in the scrap yard where I work. It was right before I went to lunch so as soon as I clocked out I headed back and had them save it for me. I snuck it home and stashed it in the workshop so I could tinker with it in private. My 11 year old grand daughter will be the proud owner of it on December 25th if I can get it going. She loves anything she can ride and always wants to help mow. So I figured I'd see what I could do with this little gem. :-)

It does have it's oil bath air cleaner and has 17/9.50 Goodyear tires on the rear. As near as I can tell everything is there except a battery and the belt for the mowing deck.

At the moment it seems to be stuck in neutral. Is that a common issue of having been sitting for a decade or more? Any advice on freeing it up?

• Like 3

On 11/14/2018 at 3:30 AM, roybilt said:

Thanks guys. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it come in the scrap yard where I work. It was right before I went to lunch so as soon as I clocked out I headed back and had them save it for me. I snuck it home and stashed it in the workshop so I could tinker with it in private. My 11 year old grand daughter will be the proud owner of it on December 25th if I can get it going. She loves anything she can ride and always wants to help mow. So I figured I'd see what I could do with this little gem. :-)

It does have it's oil bath air cleaner and has 17/9.50 Goodyear tires on the rear. As near as I can tell everything is there except a battery and the belt for the mowing deck.

At the moment it seems to be stuck in neutral. Is that a common issue of having been sitting for a decade or more? Any advice on freeing it up?

I'd recommend adding a larger safety chute on the deck if a child is going to operate it. Also make sure that the center frame pivot is free and lubricated. These early models did not have a grease fitting on them and tended to become frozen. 

• Like 1

Here is the one that I had/or might still have. It needs a lot of help. IMG_8523.thumb.JPG.e1e15be8c12e86d252795fcf2b72a332.JPG

Here is that larger chute from a later model. No additional holes were needed. It bolted right up.  Came off of a 707 or Yeoman with a 32" deck. 

IMG_8524.thumb.JPG.47415657ed3fc5a38f9adef8124e2ec0.JPG

IMG_8525.JPG