Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
cowfan

7116 help

cowfan

I have been having issues with my 7116.  When under a load it started to cough and surge some.  I assumed it was the carb. I bought a new carburetor and cleaned out fuel and changed fuel line. I started it up and I had some smoke and it seems to be not getting enough fuel and coughing.  If I adjust the high and the idle, nothing seems to effect the way it runs.  Pulling out choke and pushing it back in does not seem to effect it.  Also, I can increase the throttle from idle to high and there is no difference.   Any thoughts on this issue. I am learning, so I apologize for the way I have explained things.

fishnwiz

Be sure you have your govenor linkage adjusted properly. There are several videos on YouTube that explains proper setup.

Have you had any backfire issues recently. ...could be slightly out of time with a partial flywheel key shear.

Possible head gasket leak?

Just a few things to check. ...best of luck.

cowfan

One backfire.   I will look at the governor. Could that cause the issues with it running?  

Key shear timing and head gasket could potentially be possible as well.

How do I look at those issues?

dhoadley

For the key shear, you"ll have to remove the engine, strip off the tin and look at the shaft to make sure the flywheel notch and crankshaft notch are perfectly aligned.

• Like 1

fishnwiz

Very good point mentioned by Robert (BLT)

Fuel tank has a screen in it or if you have a fuel filter check to see if clogged or blocked. Just pull fuel line where it enters carb and blow back into the tank with fuel cap loosened.  Try to start and run and if it clears your  problem with run issue you have debris in your tank or filter screen.  

Edited by fishnwiz

cowfan

Thanks for all the replies.   I just cleaned tank, changed filter, prior to putting on new carb. I will check the gasket between carb and manifold.

The tractor ran fine at idle before I changed the carburetor.  I will take a video of what it is doing.  It starts fine, but never will straighten out.

BLT

On carb intake  pipe engine side, you have a gasket between engine block and air shield and another gasket between air shield and carb intake elbow. The gasket between block and shield sometime swings down. I made a couple of guide studs to where I can slide everything in place, then hold it all in place, remove a stud and replace it with a bolt and tighten it. Then remove other stud  because gasket is held in place and install other bolt.

• Like 1

rockfangd
On 11/12/2018 at 10:17 AM, BLT said:

On carb intake  pipe engine side, you have a gasket between engine block and air shield and another gasket between air shield and carb intake elbow. The gasket between block and shield sometime swings down. I made a couple of guide studs to where I can slide everything in place, then hold it all in place, remove a stud and replace it with a bolt and tighten it. Then remove other stud  because gasket is held in place and install other bolt.

That is how I like to do them. I have pre made studs for just the occasion. I slotted them so I can use a flat head to spin them right out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cowfan

Thanks for all the replies.   I just cleaned tank, changed filter, prior to putting on new carb. 

Also , could it be the points and condenser that are making it run rough?  Should I look into converting points to a nova 2?

Rfp55

Yes to weak ignition - idled fine before, throwing more fuel extinguishing spark. Ran car repair business for years; ~75% of carb/fuel problems coming in were ignition or to a lesser extent, vacuum ones, to get them fixed. Carburetor is French word  - for "leave me alone" old tractor guys say.

• Haha 3

kwt
12 hours ago, cowfan said:

Thanks for all the replies.   I just cleaned tank, changed filter, prior to putting on new carb. 

Also , could it be the points and condenser that are making it run rough?  Should I look into converting points to a nova 2?

I've used about a half dozen of these and similar units. I like them because they work, and I no longer have to consider points and condenser as a possible reason for poor performance. A new coil (comes with a spark plug wire) and you are most likely set for a couple decades.

fishnwiz
10 minutes ago, cowfan said:

I will take one soon.  I am in the midst of ordering parts.  Funny how some days turn into more destruction than repair. I guess that is part of learning.

:/

For me it's never easy peasy ...it always turns into something major.>:(

• Like 1

fishnwiz

Spent 2 hrs messing with a broken down paddle blower for what....so I can maybe get 75 bucks out of it?

Seems like a waste of time but yet I continue to mess with projects like that. ? Go figure. dz

• Like 2