Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member trying to identify his Tractor

Allix

Hi Everyone, I have and Allis-Chalmers Simlicity Tractor that a family member bought many years ago, but unfortunately without a mower deck.

I am trying to find out what model it is so I can begin the hunt for the correct deck.  I'll try to attach some pictures.

The data plate has the following:

ID NO 1690423      01299

And can anyone advise me on how to upload an avatar?

Thanks very much.

Renata trip October 2017 86 EXP engine 026.JPG

Renata trip October 2017 86 EXP engine 028.JPG

Renata trip October 2017 86 EXP engine 033.JPG

Renata trip October 2017 86 EXP engine 031.JPG

That is a 7000 series tractor,  probably a 10 or 12 horse, looks like a variable, so, i.e. 7010 V, 7012 V

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 1

Welcome to the site....nice looking tractor. 

Feel free to join in and get to know the membership. ...whole Lotta nice guys with a ton of knowledge. 

Welcome aboard.  Partstree shows your 1690423 as a Simplicity 7016. The original engine was a 16 HP Briggs & Stratton 326431.  Happy parts hunting.

Thanks for those useful, quick replies.  Yes, the machine does have a rear attaching tiller attachment, I'll see if I can post a picture from the back when I get to the computer that has the pictures stored in it.

That's amazing that the Simplicity Company provides PDFs of both the operator's and parts manuals.  I'm sure those will be very helpful.

I have never owned nor run a riding mower before, but I am a pretty good mechanic and I did have this machine running a few years ago.  It has always been stored inside as long as its been in the family so retains its good looks.  The funky little graphic detail on the hood side looks like a 1980s touch.

I see from the manual that both a 42" and 48" mower deck were offered.  The couple of fields I would like to use it on are perhaps two and five acres respectively, the smaller one is fairly undulating but not steep.  The climate is fairly dry (Kootenays) so grass is not too thick.

I don't have the machine with me unfortunately, it's at the mother-in-law's remote place that is no longer occupied in the winter, as it's "off-grid".  Ideally I'd find a mower deck and any needed parts somewhere in the Southern B.C. or northern Washington / Idaho area that I could drive to on my trip up to the property in the spring.

Since I am in Canada shipping is very expensive, but we have a family friend near Seattle and I will look into shipping there if the opportunity comes up.

The manuals linked above are good but neither shows the mower deck.  The parts manual refers to a manual TP-219 which covers attachments, but I can't find anything under that part number on the Simplicity site or ebay.

Does anyone have a link to a mower manual?  I would like to get one so I could be sure that any deck I looked at is the right one.  For that matter, are there certain identifying marks on decks that can confirm that they will fit a model 7016 tractor?

Thanks again for the help.

Here is one in Illinois:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-48-mower-deck-great-shape-off-a-7018-garden-tractor-No-Shipping/352394149496?hash=item520c53fe78:g:05MAAOSwLfRbONYA

Says "pick up only" but you can go through U-SHIP and they will pick it up for you and bring it to you.  Of course you pay for that but there it is.

Edited by wwbragg
syntax
  • Like 1

That tractor is what we call "large frame" and decks are compatible for decades of manufacturing. Hunt around on whatever the Canadian version of Craigslist is, and I think you'll soon find something. Just measure the spread of the front mounting point, and if it matches it should hook right up. Good luck & welcome, Dave

• Like 1

If you search "simplicity mower deck" in Kijiji for Ontario you will find someone near Windsor with four 42 inch decks selling at $125 each.  I don't know about shipping, but at least customs could be avoided and no exchange.

Thanks for those links.  The one in Illinois is $460 Canadian, the one in Windsor, Canada, $125....

But the cheaper one is only a 42".  Both are thousands of miles away, however.

If I can choose, I suppose the 42" would be better than a 48" on a somewhat irregular field, right?

And here's a picture of the back of the machine:

5bedcb5b6df94_RenatatripOctober201786EXPengine029.thumb.JPG.9efa62911a60fbded3620bf4e33dd1e5.JPG

Check the numbers on the engine cooling shroud to acsertain exactly what engine you have. I've run 48" decks with 30 and 32 cubic inch Briggs with no problem. I don't think I would want to run a 48" with a 24 cubic engine.

Almost any 48" deck can be made to work. I have a 48 " deck from a 1969 Simp under what is in all actuality a 7016h.   https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/60593-deck-belts-for-7016/?tab=comments#comment-486214

I honestly prefer the older decks.

Unfortunately the tractor is 500 miles away, so I'll have to wait until spring to get the numbers off of the engine.

I might buy a battery to bring up with me, can anyone advise me of which size I need?

The starter pinion gear is stripped, so I have another (possibly wrong) one on order, but I don't recall if there is provision for starting the engine with a pull rope.

It would be difficult to start with a pull rope as you have to snake it around the pulley with the driveshaft in place. I bought a whole new starter like that for around $28 US on eBay a couple months ago. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-for-Briggs-391178-394807-396306-106-205-with-FREE-GEAR/140902384061?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

All these tractors, six speeds, were built to the same production year , variations being HP and tires, 10 HP being Kohler powered and 16HP Briggs. The Briggs engine model and type for that year is 326437 0252-01†.

ENGLISH OPERATOR'S MANUAL - 7016G 16HP Tractor, 7010 10HP Tractor, Turf Tires, Agricultural Tires

TP_100_3029_00_AT_S.pdf

ENGLISH OPERATOR'S MANUAL - 7016G 16HP Tractor, 7010 10HP Tractor, Turf Tires, Agricultural Tires

TP_100_3029_00_AT_S.pdf

TP_100_3029_00_AT_S.pdf

TP_100_3029_00_AT_S.pdf

TP_100_3029_00_AT_S.pdf

Thanks for the info, guys.  Some family members just returned from the US, I might have considered having a starter motor sent to their location if I had known how incredibly reasonably priced they are.

I am amazed something like that can sell for so little, and even includes shipping.  But I just ordered a couple of spare gears for mine, as the starter itself is fine.

I would have responded earlier but I don't get email notifications, I will have to check the settings again.

Any suggestions for a battery?

22NF is replacement battery and people have used group 51R is another choice.  The reason, I believe, you don't  receive E-mail notifications is that is a perk, which is on of many, you get for becoming a club member for an annual fee of $10 US.

I'm looking into prices up here for a battery, the 22NF and 51R seem to be very expensive, more than regular car batteries.

I will probably visit Washington State before I go see my beloved Tractor in the spring, does anyone have suggestions for a source with a good price on batteries down there?