Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowthrower chute coming off

kwt

So I ran my modded single stage thrower for the first time. I have a smaller belt wheel behind the auger so it spins faster. First pass. Wow. Second pass Doht! Hit a 1 foot chunk of 4x4 wood that was left in front of the garage. Knocked the chute off but didn't swallow the wood thank goodness. Knocked the chute off on the third pass. Bent the chute keeper in so that I had to use a pry bar to install the chute. Good to go. Blew the whole drive and a bunch of the yard with no further problems. Was impressed with the modded blower driven by the 20hp Honda. Buddy has a 7116 that is similar and was whining about not throwing snow far enough. Went to show it off and was just ripping the snow @ a high rate and the darned chute fell off again. Wasn't throwing anything but snow, but a lot of it. Checked the chute hook and all was well. Maybe I'll figure a further mod. Like maybe a ridge around the edge of the chute and more of a hook to the retainer.

Has anyone else had problems keeping the chute on?

I did manage to toss a softball/baseball sized rock over the power lines and into the ditch 50' away. That was eye opening. Darned kids.

I've never had a chute come off, but I can say from experience you are beyond lucky that wood didn't do anything but knock the chute off.  When we first bought the place we're at now, with a huge driveway, I changed the locks on the pole barn and left for a seminar in Colorado for a week right after moving in.  We got 17+" of snow while I was gone and I had to move it all.  Apparently I had left the old doorknob in the driveway and sucked it in.  Peeled the inside lining of the snowblower off and wrapped it around the blower, bending one end of the auger inwards in the process.  Thankfully it was my old Crapsman and it's death inspired the purchase of my first Simplicity.  

lol.

As for the chute coming off. 

There is a opening that you use to insert the chute under the keeper. Under normal use the chute will never spin around to the keeper. I will try and post a pic. 

Should have no reason to use any bar to remove or install it. 

Which tractor is it? and does it use cable to turn the chute?

If it does maybe the cables are loose.

My chute fell off my 7116 2 years ago during a snow storm. That sucked. The welds broke that held the chute to its base. I couldn't even rig it on. And my welder was not home. 

Once I welded it together it has been perfect. 

23 hours ago, rockfangd said:

There is a opening that you use to insert the chute under the keeper. Under normal use the chute will never spin around to the keeper. I will try and post a pic. 

I made the keeper so tight that I had to pry it out a little to set the chute back on.  Chute only goes on when the notch is in line with the keeper. Have to remove the cable to get it back on cause you and I know that with the cables on properly, you can't get the notch to line up with the keeper. Cables are tight. The keeper jumped the ridge on the chute. I was pushing serious snow.

Originally 18hp Triad Sovereign with gx620 Honda repower.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:26 PM, kwt said:

Checked the chute hook and all was well. Maybe I'll figure a further mod.

I've put a plastic sleeve made from either a bleach or windshield anit-freeze solution in the gap between the "nozzle" of the blower body and the inside of the chute.  Besides helping reduce the turning friction, it fills the gap and prevent the chute from cocking (not axially aligned under load).  If the chute cocks enough, I would think the chute hook looses it's grip.  Depending on the gap on your setup, maybe a double liner would be required.  A pic:

5beee4cd1545a_ChuteLiner.thumb.JPG.25851c580dabe62272c71de2d25bae43.JPG

This is a pic of the chute hook on my "new style" blower - you can see it wouldn't take much "cocking" before it lost contact with the ring.

IMG_5337.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
added pic explanation
  • Like 2

Now we are talking.

In pic #2 my keeper is for all intents and purposes against the chute. The chute cocking is exactly what I suspect.

I went with Phandad's advice and used an ice cream bucket for material. I couldn't stuff two thicknesses in there comfortably, so went with one. I knocked the circumference of the male part of the chute with a hammer as it was a little out of round. Narrower fore and aft.

Edited by kwt
spelling

That sounds about right, whenever it got to the area that was out of round it likely cocked and therefore came off. 

Ensuring that male part is true round makes me think it should solve your issue.

It is possible someone ran into something with the chute or it may have gotten tweaked in storage/ transport

Lol my heart sunk when my chute fell off. I momentarily felt hopeless.

We had already gotten about 10" and it was still coming down hard. 

I had to get my old Ariens out. 1980sm06 to finish the job until I was able to weld it back together.

I find it so funny that most of my equipment is as old as me, if not older and it is still holding up so well. I do maintain everything very well though. 

Currently use 1985 Bolens G274

Ariens 1980 snowblower

John Deere 826 1988 snowblower

Only a few of my vintage toys

Edited by rockfangd