Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

foot dragger rear wheel hub

TimJr

So I was asked today about the left rear wheel hub on the foot draggers, specifically a B10 Allis.  I have a 2010 Landlord to compare, as that part should be the same.  Anyway, the guys wheel hub broke and he wanted new set screws too.  I was surprised to find out the wheel hub is still available new from Simplicity.  The set screws seem to be obsolete.  

I pulled one of the set screws out of my Landlord hub.  It is assumed to be original.  It is a 3/8" square headed set screw.  But, it has a pointed end.  Right now, it isn't feasible for me to try and pull the hub off my tractor to look at the axle.  Is there a dimple in the axle that the pointed set screw has to fit into?  I expected 2 regular cup ended set screws like what a pulley would use.  One is lined up with the key, the other just clamps onto the axle shaft.

Does anyone have a pic of an axle shaft or can confirm the set screw shape?

The hub is 154208.  The long set screw is 715022.  The short set screw is 713004.

If there isn't a dimple in the axle, I don't know why a regular set screw with the cupped end wouldn't work.  It would slightly grub into the key and axle and help hold things still.  Thanks, Tim  

20181116_173329.jpg

I'm thinking they were done that way for a reason but don't recall if I've ever even managed to get the LH hub removed from one of these axles.

• Like 1

They are pointed because they drive a plastic plug down against the rotating axle to create drag, a crude limited slip system. Bad picture, but r is the plug, s is set screw

image.png.70ab5b497eb91fd5d83ea4972d55e3cd.png

2 hours ago, GregB said:

They are pointed because they drive a plastic plug down against the rotating axle to create drag, a crude limited slip system.

Greg, I believe he's asking about the other hub, the one on the left side of the tractor as you're sitting on the tractor.

14 hours ago, TimJr said:

I pulled one of the set screws out of my Landlord hub.  It is assumed to be original.  It is a 3/8" square headed set screw.  But, it has a pointed end.  ... Is there a dimple in the axle that the pointed set screw has to fit into?

There is a dimple in the shaft that the "pointed" setscrew fits into; see step 5 in this page from the B Series Service manual:

5bf038c0ee89c_PageE3.thumb.JPG.581346838e2bd5bf26e8b688ddab98c5.JPG

• Like 1

So, there is a dimple in the axle shaft for the pointed set screw to sit in per that manual.  Anyone have an axle shaft to get a pic of?  I am guessing a regular bolt will need to be ground to a point to mimic the original so that it holds the hub in place properly.

Set screw "B" obviously sets the hub in the correct orientation, so I would definitely want to tighten this one first before I moved on to "A". You also want to make sure that the hub is relatively free on the shaft so that the point can pull the hub into the exact location it needs to be. There is a similar arrangement on some old F&W jet pumps and lots of guys have messed this up. Any set screw you make should have the point perfectly centered and have the correct angle.

Anything I put back on that has a slip fit and setscrews to hold in place, gets a liberal coat of grease or anti seize before assembly. Slide the hub on and off a few times before final assembly, to be sure the shaft/hub is completely covered inside and out. If you ever need to remove again, this coating simplifies the process.

Have you tried Sandy Lake Implement for the parts? Brenda might have a set of used setscrews

~ Brenda Knauss
SANDY LAKE IMPLEMENT
3675 Sandy Lake Road
Sandy Lake PA 16145
(724) 376-2489
parts@sandylakeimp.com
www.sandylakeimp.com

So after doing more research myself, I have come up with the following info.  The new OEM parts have not arrived yet, so I can't say 100% they are right.  I will update if I can get my eyes on them before the parts get installed.  Not my project, just got dragged into trying to get the right parts.

I did some chasing of the old part numbers, and came up with the following current Simplicity part numbers.

Wheel hub 154208 is now 2154208SM and is about $100.00

The short, cup pointed set screw that should be the one that goes into the key has a few different old numbers.

713004 is now 2830535SM.  Other prior numbers were 70930535, 930535, 1602404, 72025825.  Not all of these numbers superceded to the current number, not sure why.

The longer, cone point set screw that seats into the dimple in the axle also supercedes and has a number of prior numbers.

930569 is now 2830569SM.  Other prior numbers were 715022, 1602403, 70930569, 72025829.  Not all of these numbers superceded to the current number, not sure why.

The axle key is 1/4 x 1/4 x 2 1/4".  905100 is now 2805100SM.  Other prior numbers were 159129 and 725602.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1