Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New 7117

jsciutto

Hi,  new to the group.  Just got a 7117 and a 42" deck.  Bought my first Sovereign 16 hp (single cylinder Briggs) in 1978.  Not sure of the model number, but it was in the gray/orange paint with hydrostatic and a 48" deck.  Use to mow a lot of lawns around town.  I plan on just fixing it up and having fun with it.  

Found this group - wonderful source for information.  

7117 front.jpg

7117 side.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the club.

The 7117 looks to be in great shape.  

Always good to have two (or more) tractors.  And some would say you need a tractor for each attachment you own.  sm00

Thanks.  Photos make it look much better.  Looks to have been either worked on  in the past, or extremely well kept.  Hood paint is pretty poor.  The deck is almost pristine and cuts extremely well.  Stripes look awesome.  

Updated the front steering with the "poor man's power steering" and it has helped a lot.  I saw a thread here where bearings were put on the steering gear.  I think I'll pursue that upgrade.  The link between the front wheels has a small amount of slop.  I'm thinking of making bearings to eliminate all the slop.

I found the rims to have about 8 coats of paint on them when I was working on the steering.  I plan to completely strip them and get new tires all around.  They all hold air, but are very cracked and mismatched.

I'll try and show my progress.  It's nice to see what others are doing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jsciutto said:

I saw a thread here where bearings were put on the steering gear.  I think I'll pursue that upgrade.

If this is the thread you are referring to, I have done this to two machines & it is the greatest improvement ever.  I even like it better than the Power steering I have on one.  the only thing I did differently is that I made my new bushing out of oil impregnated bronze.  No chance of rust EVER.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/24786-steering-box-rehabilitation/?tab=comments#comment-319661

Edited by ShaunE

Welcome to the site.  Thanks for sharing your tractors with us. Looks to be a nice pair of vintage units. 

By all means,  please feel free to share your trials and tribulations with us on any upgrades or restoration work you have planned for your tractors as we all enjoy seeing what others are doing to their tractors .

Jump right in and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stumped on something. There are NO dumb questions that someone here won't have an answer for.dz

Sit and stay a while...lotsa great members on this site with years of experience and knowledge. 

4 hours ago, ShaunE said:

If this is the thread you are referring to, I have done this to two machines & it is the greatest improvement ever.  I even like it better than the Power steering I have on one.  the only think I did differently is that I made my new bushing out of oil impregnated bronze.  No chance of rust EVER.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/24786-steering-box-rehabilitation/?tab=comments#comment-319661

Forgot about that one. I just promoted it to the articles section of the site where several other steering topics are posted. 

• Thanks 1