Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Triad to predator engine swap

aokpops

Several people have installed Predators in Sovereigns.  Except for minor wiring issues, including possibly needing a different key switch, I wouldn't think there's much difference between OEM Sovereign engines. 

If I remember the posts correctly, major issues are driveshaft connection and muffler (maybe needs a mounting plate, but if you're starting with a Triad, you have the plate already).  Do a search and you should find several threads. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MARK (LI) said:

why these are being referred to Honda clones

It is a Chinese copy of the Honda GX690.  Pretty much an exact duplicate.

Edited by wwbragg
expand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wwbragg said:

It is a Chinese copy of the Honda GX690.  Pretty much an exact duplicate.

Yup, because it's a clone in nearly every way.  I've done a transplant into a 7117 and looked up exterior technical drawings to compare GX690 parts such as mufflers and driveshaft adapters.

You should already have a plate, which is step 1.  You'll need a driveshaft adapter.  The one I used from small engine warehouse is no longer available, despite the fact that they say they'll be running a batch next week every single time I've e-mailed them...over the last 2-3 years.  They might be available on eBay.

Controls are easy.  You just take the ignition switch out of the control box on the engine and run it up to the dash.  Get a generic choke cable and run a new throttle cable back to the stock throttle and you are in business.  

Muffler can be a beast, I ended up welding on new stubs to muffler from a Sunstar (I think).  

Seach my name and predator on here and you'll find my threads on the swap I did.

Edited by rich_kildow
  • Like 1

Look up Performance 670 on the internet, they have crank adapters like you would need also some other parts too. They also sell on ebay. I have no affiliation with them but have bought a few Cub Cadet parts from another side of there business and was very pleased with the quality and customer service. I like my Predator in my Allis 917 and would do the swap again the same way. 

• Like 1

I installed a 670 Predator in my 7117 last spring, it works good so far, here are a few notes you may be interested in; 

1-because I replaced a kt-17 engine, 1" spacers were needed under the 670 for proper height.

2-the Performance 670 engine adapter worked great, you will have to add spacers between the coupler and adapter.

3-I used the Predator muffler, had to cut a hole in the hood for the pipe. I did experience some heat problems that were cured by using fiberglass insulation on the engine side of the muffler, I do think a shield behind the muffler would also work.

4-I cheated on the wiring by just using the Predator key switch and leaving it, the throttle and choke where it was.

5-had a problem with mice chewing up my air filter paper into little pieces which was sucked thru the engine. it ran bad for awhile but seems to have cleared up (I hope).

6-because I left the key switch on the engine there was a problem with my snow blower lift rod, I had to make a dogleg bracket to go around the key switch box.

Greg

• Like 1