Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New guys with a tiller question 2210 to 7016

GDM22058

Good evening everyone 

New guy to the forum with a question. So I have a 1974 7016 that I am getting going. I want a tiller for it. I purchased a 1969 2210 with a square top tiller on the back. The 2210 is a mess and the engine is bad. I know the tiller will work but my concern is the mule drive on the back.  I was told it would work.

So can I remove everything from the 2210 tiller related and will it work on my 7016? 

Screenshot_20181104-215726.png

IMG_20181106_130745730.jpg

IMG_20181015_223007608.jpg

IMG_20181015_222749290.jpg

The 2210 rear lift will not work on the 7016 without adding a reduction collar for the lift hitch, a cable, and a pulley for the cable underneath the tractor. Look up MFR# 990984 or 1690404. That is the rear lift kit for the 7000 Series tractors.

• Thanks 1

I like that 7016. Nice tractor. Looks like a earlier version of my 7116. Wish I could be helpful for the tiller info, I am looking for one for mine 

9 hours ago, rockfangd said:

I like that 7016. Nice tractor. Looks like a earlier version of my 7116. Wish I could be helpful for the tiller info, I am looking for one for mine 

If you're talking about mine, it's a A-C 718, cousin to 7018 . It has a Kohler 18 OHV engine.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 10:02 AM, BLT said:

I did one 4-5 years ago. Use for small garden twice a year. .Tractor is AC 718 and hardly works.

What tires are on the rear of your tractor?

The correct answer is NO.  That tiller set up does not belong on the later chassis tractors. 

That being said, with some rigging, it can obviously be made to "work". 

The correct tiller and idler system for a 7000/7100 style chassis is fairly easy to find.

Which tractor are those pics of the rear end with no rear lift installed?  It looks like a PTO cone clutch in the pic, so it must be the 7016.  As stated above, you will need a rear lift kit.  Fairly easy to find.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the mower deck belt is supposed to be in the inboard pulley groove of the PTO clutch.  It looks like yours is in the outboard groove now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TimJr said:

The correct answer is NO.  That tiller set up does not belong on the later chassis tractors. 

The correct tiller and idler system for a 7000/7100 style chassis is fairly easy to find.

Which tractor are those pics of the rear end with no rear lift installed?  It looks like a PTO cone clutch in the pic, so it must be the 7016.  As stated above, you will need a rear lift kit.  Fairly easy to find.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the mower deck belt is supposed to be in the inboard pulley groove of the PTO clutch.  It looks like yours is in the outboard groove now.

Those are 5/8 width belts.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:25 PM, TimJr said:

I assumed I was looking at a pic of the 2210. It's obvious now that I was mistaken.

Good catch on the belt being on the wrong pulley.

On a side note. I've never seen a non-hydro 7016.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, TimJr said:

For the record::

There was no 'rigging', no extra holes drilled. The large pulley slid on the rear lift shaft that extends to the left' There is enough room on the shaft to slide that assembly on  The original belts were used and the long belt is mounted correctly as it is a  5/8" width and drives off the outer groove. The real out off pocket expense that could have occurred is that the long belt would slip from time to time. But I had some parts to make a spring loaded idler pulley and that was it. You can see that shiny part just below and back of the drive pulley.  It takes me about 15 Minutes install but coming up to my 79th birthday, it takes a little. I will admit to a little grinding from large pulley on the seat pan' that has a little shiny spot

Would the "wrong" idler set up clear 23x10.5-12 rear tires?  I don't know if the backspacing is the same from the 8.5 to the 10.5" tire and wheel combos.  The tractor pictured above with the old tiller has the narrow tires.  

If he has the 10.5's, that could be a complication and he would have to decide between finding the right tiller or getting another set of wheels and tires with backspacing that would allow the jackshaft set up to fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, sorry for the late response as I had been busy with a plumbing debacle in my house and my work schedule getting heavier. 

I really appreciate all the responses and I actually might be saving the 2210 instead (keep the 7016 as a cutter). 

Thank you again especially to BLT as he showed it does work on the tractors.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GDM22058 said:

Hello everyone, sorry for the late response as I had been busy with a plumbing debacle in my house and my work schedule getting heavier. 

I really appreciate all the responses and I actually might be saving the 2210 instead (keep the 7016 as a cutter). 

Thank you again especially to BLT as he showed it does work on the tractors.

Sounds like that might be the simpler solution. Can't hurt to have a second tractor around anyway.

20 hours ago, GDM22058 said:

I've only used a worn Vickers hydro to till (I've done a bunch) and it is a pain to control the speed through the varying hardness of the earth. I've often thought that using a gear tractor would be better, and 10hp is plenty enough to till.

Not having to change attachments is pretty sweet. For years I would till a half dozen times during the summer and every time I had to swap. It gets old.