Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another paint thread

RAC

Getting ready to paint the Legacy I bought this summer and wanted to spray it in a base/clear for better durability and less eventual fade. So... after very little luck trying to come up with a automotive paint code match for Deep Orange I finally just took a panel in to have a photo-electric color match done at the local NAPA. They took 5 readings on the under side of the deck belt cover (least sun exposure, non-faded surface I could find) and came up with (drumroll please)... Ditzler PPG 61158 (aka. Dupont G8841 or BASF 737146) for easier look-up search 1988 or 2009 Ford Fleet Orange WT5685.

I really thought they'd just be able to match the Duplicolor 1607 red/orange engine paint but the "engine" paints don't actually come up in the car color systems. Who knew?

Years ago when I wanted the 1607 matched, I sprayed it on a primed panel and had the store match it. It turned out pretty good. PPG Omni acrylic enamel at the time.  

Here is a pic of the Ditzler PPG 61158 vs the Chev orange-red 1607. (1607 is the swatch between the panels). I'm not sure I can tell a difference, perhaps the 1607 is slightly more red. The PPG 61158 was matched from the underside of a deck cover. The make/model look-up for the PPG 61158 is 1988 or 2009 Ford special order fleet orange WT5685. The panels are painted in PPG Omni single stage with catalyst. Also available in Base/Clear (what I'll put on the hood/fenders) and straight-up enamel w/o hardener/catalyst.

1607 vs PPG-61158 (450x338).jpg

Edited by RAC
  • Like 1