Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
MARK (LI)

Rollers on mower decks

MARK (LI)

Has anyone had the center holes on his mower deck rollers become enlarged? I think mine have which results in the deck actually dropping down to the point that the rack drags on the ground, guging m ylawn as I go along...and it happens behind me so I don't see it until I come around......anyone know if new rollers are available?

simplewrench

New rollers are available and I think some people have put bushings in the center when they have gotten worn but it’s likely the outside is worn too. 

PhanDad

To salvage old rollers that aren't worn much on the outside, I've driven 3/4" thin wall aluminum tubing (slightly larger than 5/8" ID) into the  pipe into the center of the roller. 

If the roller bar is worn some and the inside of the roller is heavily worn, 1/2" PVC pipe can be used - but 1/2" PVC pipe OD is larger than 3/4" so it's not an easy insertion - drilling is usually needed.   

Best to use new rollers.  

• Like 1

jlasater

Worn rollers, you say? Hah.

9020_worn_rollers3.jpg

The rollers on the used deck I bought were probably hogged out to 1" or so on the ID. The two end rollers were even worse and just flopped around. I bought a set on Amazon...look for the cheapest price. Quality-wise, they area all about the same. I think the ones I got were from Stens and had the nylon bushings.

• Like 1

Brettw

Both the bar and the rollers can wear, and  the combination of the two can be significant in deck height.  I find that 5/8" cold rolled steel from a supplier like Speedy Metals or similar and a quick weld job is reasonable and worth the effort if it's a good deck worth properly fixing.  Then rollers from Yates Rubber Products.  Good stuff, good company, reasonable prices and can be cut to any size.Molded-Side-Guide-Rollers-e1407803136832.jpg

• Like 1

rockfangd
4 hours ago, jlasater said:

Worn rollers, you say? Hah.

9020_worn_rollers3.jpg

The rollers on the used deck I bought were probably hogged out to 1" or so on the ID. The two end rollers were even worse and just flopped around. I bought a set on Amazon...look for the cheapest price. Quality-wise, they area all about the same. I think the ones I got were from Stens and had the nylon bushings.

That is a cool picture. 

That is a trophy shaft lol.

As for the rollers If not worn on the outside you should be able to use spacers. If the rollers were used on pavement or harsh grounds then you might as well just replace them

dhoadley
6 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

I really can't tell what that picture is

An old, worn roller bar on top, new one on bottom.

Edited by dhoadley

dhoadley
14 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

Thank you Dave....I could not differentiate the 2 of them until you pointed it out....Mark

My pleasure. Us northeast guys need to look out for each other. sm03

• Like 1