Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rollers on mower decks

MARK (LI)

Has anyone had the center holes on his mower deck rollers become enlarged? I think mine have which results in the deck actually dropping down to the point that the rack drags on the ground, guging m ylawn as I go along...and it happens behind me so I don't see it until I come around......anyone know if new rollers are available?

New rollers are available and I think some people have put bushings in the center when they have gotten worn but it’s likely the outside is worn too. 

To salvage old rollers that aren't worn much on the outside, I've driven 3/4" thin wall aluminum tubing (slightly larger than 5/8" ID) into the  pipe into the center of the roller. 

If the roller bar is worn some and the inside of the roller is heavily worn, 1/2" PVC pipe can be used - but 1/2" PVC pipe OD is larger than 3/4" so it's not an easy insertion - drilling is usually needed.   

Best to use new rollers.  

• Like 1

Worn rollers, you say? Hah.

9020_worn_rollers3.jpg

The rollers on the used deck I bought were probably hogged out to 1" or so on the ID. The two end rollers were even worse and just flopped around. I bought a set on Amazon...look for the cheapest price. Quality-wise, they area all about the same. I think the ones I got were from Stens and had the nylon bushings.

• Like 1

Both the bar and the rollers can wear, and  the combination of the two can be significant in deck height.  I find that 5/8" cold rolled steel from a supplier like Speedy Metals or similar and a quick weld job is reasonable and worth the effort if it's a good deck worth properly fixing.  Then rollers from Yates Rubber Products.  Good stuff, good company, reasonable prices and can be cut to any size.Molded-Side-Guide-Rollers-e1407803136832.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jlasater said:

Worn rollers, you say? Hah.

9020_worn_rollers3.jpg

The rollers on the used deck I bought were probably hogged out to 1" or so on the ID. The two end rollers were even worse and just flopped around. I bought a set on Amazon...look for the cheapest price. Quality-wise, they area all about the same. I think the ones I got were from Stens and had the nylon bushings.

That is a cool picture. 

That is a trophy shaft lol.

As for the rollers If not worn on the outside you should be able to use spacers. If the rollers were used on pavement or harsh grounds then you might as well just replace them

6 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

I really can't tell what that picture is

An old, worn roller bar on top, new one on bottom.

Edited by dhoadley

14 hours ago, MARK (LI) said:

Thank you Dave....I could not differentiate the 2 of them until you pointed it out....Mark

My pleasure. Us northeast guys need to look out for each other. sm03

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid to look at my roller bar! The BGB rebuild turned into machine shop work, a new bevel gear for about $170, and while the tractor was down, a good look at the front end set me up for Poor Mans Power Steering, and I finally figured out a way to seal the front wheels properly with a good way to adjust the front wheel bearings. I know the roller bar will just be a drop in a very large (so far) bucket, but. I'll look at it only if the machine shop puts me off til the first of the year, which it looks to be possible right now.

Wondering though, if 1024 would be better than mild steel on the roller bar..UH OH

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrSteele said:

Wondering though, if 1024 would be better than mild steel on the roller bar..UH OH

Possibly true, however, I would worry about it in another 20 years or so.............666

• Like 1

I didn't realize these 108432 rollers were now over $20 at many vendors. I remember 15 years ago we bought some for the B-110 and they were around $12 each at the dealer. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rollers are expensive. They were $22 each from Simplicity and I needed 7 of them. I bought some round stock UHMW plastic on Amazon, cut it in 4" lengths and bored a 1" hole in them. So far they seem to hold up. 

I've also heard of guys buying boat trailer rollers and just enlarging the center holes. 

Edited by wiscogus
  • Like 2

I just ordered the yates 12x2 1/2  rollers from trailer parts super store for 8.95 each yesterday  due to be here Friday I have  used these before with grate success 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wiscogus said:

I've also heard of guys buying boat trailer rollers and just enlarging the center holes. 

If you look at the Yates site, they have 12 and 9 inch rollers with 5/8" bore.  No need to enlarge anything as far as Sovereign decks go.  And, the thing I like about them, they are solid rubber with a nylon center section insert, through and through.  So if I need an 11" or 10" or 5-1/2" roller, whatever,  I take the miter saw and cut them to the exact size.  

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 2

Could you put a link to what you're buying re those rollers? Thanks. This spring I am going to take the Simplicity apart. Deck off, clean refurb, spindle bushings, and a bunch of other stuff. Once that one is done it will be pressed into service and the Honda 4514 will be torn down, noew oil pump hear, oil pressure sender installed, mower deck cleaned/sharpened, new engine timing belt and water pump.

Once both are done a decision will be made about who stays and who goes or if I keep both and enjoy that I can drive either one at my whim LOL