Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign Implement Lift Cylinder Repair/ Replace

airgunner

Hello, long time lurker and new member here. I'm in the process of saving a later model Sovereign (1692143) and realized the hydraulic implement lift cylinder has a fairly severe leak coming from the rod seal. Has anyone ever had any luck having one of these rebuilt or is replacement the better, or only, option? It is a welded cylinder and I imagine a shop would have to cut it on a lathe to access the internals. I doubt if many shops want to mess with a tiny cylinder like this, but I actually haven't talked to anyone yet. A new one is over 300 bucks, so I am weighing all options. The tractor itself is pretty rough, so I'm not sure if I can justify the $$. I've seen a few cylinders on Ebay, but am leery about buying a used one that may or may not be any good. Thank you...

Well it's about time. ...we been waiting for you to join in after all that time lurking :ph34r: Welcome to the site. Take a seat and stay a while.

Someone will be along to help you out.

Best O luck on your project.

I would not be too concerned about a used cylinder.  I can honestly say I have had / fixed, traded, bought and sold numerous hydraulic lifts and yours is the first time I have heard of any significant leak.  And I have never experienced any leaks personally, from the lift cylinders.  So, maybe a used one won't hurt you too bad.  As far as rebuild, I could not answer that for you; no clue as to how or cost.  Then there is always the "donor" tractor.  Fair warning however:  Relatively cheap find, has what you need but............you realize it's a pretty good unit in and of itself, and maybe it could actually be fixed up.   And the addiction and sickness begins........................ 

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 4