Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy XL Kawasaki powered

CTD01

I have been eyeing this 2004 legacy xl for about a month. Been back and forth with the guy finally we agreed on a price. So last weekend I loaded up the family and made the trip up to VT to grab it. It's a 04 XL 4x4 with a kawasaki 27 hp that came with loader 2: 54" decks and 3 point hitch. It has some hours on it (1436) but runs and drives great. Took us 11.5 hours from when we left to when we got home but well worth the drive. I planned to service it when I got back but all services were done 5 hours ago. So I changed plugs and coolant anyway gave it a good cleaning. I also shimmed the pump for a bit more lifting capacity along with filling the tires. I have owed all the engines offered in the older XLS and the kawasaki is by far the smoothest and quietest. 

IMG_20181202_132856164.jpg

IMG_20181204_191309955.jpg

IMG_20181204_191345289.jpg

IMG_20181206_102646483.jpg

IMG_20181206_102652470_TOP.jpg

IMG_20181206_102701047.jpg

IMG_20181203_193409184.jpg

IMG_20181204_191352423.jpg

Edited by CTD01
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, MikeES said:

Very nice!  The Kaw would be my choice also, of all the engines that Simplicity used.

Yea its definitely a sweet engine! I will say I never felt like I needed more power with the kohler and its a real simple engine. The fuel efficiency of the diesel is amazing though! 

Nice score.   Been keeping my eye out locally for another one of similar vintage.  Pickin's are pretty slim around here.

Looking for 54" deck, 4x4, Kawwi engine like the one I already have.  Do not really need another loader, Rear PTO and three point would be bonus, but not needed.  Would be dedicated to mowing.

https://erie.craigslist.org/grd/d/simplicity-legacy-4x4/6766575770.html

43 minutes ago, GregB said:

Nice score.   Been keeping my eye out locally for another one of similar vintage.  Pickin's are pretty slim around here.

Looking for 54" deck, 4x4, Kawwi engine like the one I already have.  Do not really need another loader, Rear PTO and three point would be bonus, but not needed.  Would be dedicated to mowing.

11 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

Nice.

How many in your fleet now?

2 xls. I wound up selling the Kohler. That Kohler was also great. Only thing bad I can say was it was thirsty!

Yeah, the Kohlers seem to be a glutton, but they are beloved.  The Kawasaki I had was great on fuel, so I hope you find the same to be true.  The diesel does great, but I do miss the whisper quiet of the Kawasaki.  

Wrong corner of the state for me.  According to Google maps I could get to your town faster than Erie sm00

Only looking about two hours one way, and not looking to hard, need to get rid of the B-16 loader first.

• Like 1

May need to have you walk me through the shim process on my 2009 xl with 27hp kawasaki. 

Edited by bowhunt4life

2 hours ago, bowhunt4life said:

May need to have you walk me through the shim process on my 2009 xl with 27hp kawasaki. 

It's really simple (after you've done it once) Chris.  If you haven't, read through this.  He goes a lot further into the disassembly than you need, but he was kinda finding his way and sharing.  Once the plate over the tank is removed, you can access the valves with a 17m socket.  

This is your relief valve:

shim6.jpg.8ed42423833d3b615afa2b49aad4d51e.jpg

THen add this, beside the shim already on your valve assembly:

shim8.jpg.a8b37fe4d99b50f18f052e99079c6846.jpg

It's really simple (after you've done it once) Chris.  If you haven't, read through this.  He goes a lot further into the disassembly than you need, but he was kinda finding his way and sharing.  Once the plate over the tank is removed, you can access the valves with a 17m socket.  

Josh,

Did you mean to insert a link above?