Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cooling Fin Fouling w/Predator???

PhanDad

For those of you running Predator engine installs, have you noticed a buildup of chaff on the engine cooling fins?

I ask because my first 75th came with a Command install that used the "stock" plastic screen rather than the "chopper" screen:

IMG_4697.thumb.jpg.b4cd05a66def7ac9d712d88676b9d919.jpg

Which appears similar to the Predator screen as seen in this pic from @rich_kildow Predator install:

IMG_20151017_145341_068_zpsukrippmb.jpg

The Command plastic screen definitely definitely let a lot of chaff blow through and be deposited around the engine:

IMG_4694.thumb.jpg.6353beb4c86883cf674f6b49958d1bcc.jpg

IMG_4686.thumb.jpg.1b2c5808d50ac4d287353e98c53949d3.jpg

Does the Predator have a similar air flow with similar results?

Might this be an issue?  Extra periodic cleaning?

PS - This Command didn't suffer from any oil leaks, so there was no blinding of the cooling fins, but I don't know if the buildup would have continued since I switched to a "chopper" screen.

Edited by PhanDad
Spelling

The KT-Series 2 in my 917 has the plastic screen in it as well which I'm sure means it was a repower.  However it has always seemed to be relatively clean in the cooling fins.  I remove the engine, tins & flywheel every few years & make sure it's clean.  Especially under the flywheel around the stator.  Overheating under there leads to flywheel magnet adhesive failure.

I should probably investigate a metal chopper screen for it the next time I remove it for cleaning & inspection.

Chopper Screen.  Courtesy of  @PhanDad.

Notice the smaller holes in the metal screen with the metal "Blade" on the back side of the screen.  The idea is to "Chop" the grass clippings into very small pieces allowing them to blow by & through the cooling fins.  Keep in mind though, if you have any oil leaks, all bets are off as no matter how small the clippings are, they will stick to the oil.

Chopper Screen.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not making out the blade. But that screen looks like the one on my Command Pro 20 though I haven't been out there to look at it in a few weeks.

OK cool. The Command in my machine was installed and provided by a Simplicity dealer. Would it be more likely to have this feature? Next time I am out in the back garage though I will need to have a look under the hood

• 3 weeks later...

My conversion with a Briggs Vanguard does the same thing.  Since it has an air duct from the blower to the air cleaner, it would fill the air cleaner housing with grass every time I mowed.  I ended up removing the air baffle behind the engine which forced all the air to come from under the tractor.  This eliminated most of the problem although it will allow some cooling air re-circulation by pulling some of the warmer air back into the engine.  It also allows access to clean the flywheel screen.  

• 4 weeks later...

Came across the following while surfing eBay today.

From a Command CH18 repowered GTH-L tractor:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Lots of chaff plus oil leak equals engine failure???