Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Papermaker

7117 48" mower deck replacement

Papermaker

Hi Guys--

Has anyone ever found a left-hand exit mower deck or deck shell that can be substituted for a 48" Sovereign mower deck?  It's sure be nice to have a substitute deck as rust free 48" decks become difficult to find.

Thanks,

Papermaker

PhanDad

Deals do come up on occasion.  Keep an eye on Craigslist for best deals (in my experience).  Also eBay.  I've seen NOS deck shells at reasonable prices when a dealer is getting rid of old stock.  

I found this on Craigslist last February; I couldn't pass it up for $175:

pic1.jpg.c34f23d45221f8e16335f694405f69dd.jpg

pic2.jpg.2b0f2431348c1a31eb27a6208b0267b9.jpg

IMG_9607.thumb.JPG.a8c4d3ea98c7ea244e5c8dd2ef610197.JPG

Only some surface rust to repair; arbor belt was there.

You pretty much have to search everyday; if you don't the "deals" are usually snapped up pretty quickly.

As to "substitute" left discharge deck availability - I've never seen any.  

• Like 1

Papermaker

Wow PhanDad, major deck envy!  I'm searching for a deck now but not sure what I'm looking at is sound.  You really can't tell much until you standing over the deck with an ice pick...

Papermaker

motorheadgrandma

Hi, we are located in Plainview, MN and have a 48" deck from a 7117. solid but needs rebuild. Please call Jonette or Neal at 507-534-2431 if you have any questions

Brettw

Heck, sometimes you keep your eyes open, you get a free deck with a complete tractor, or visa-versa!   I have picked up tractors with bad engines, and the deck is in great shape, and you get the whole shootin' match for less than a stand alone deck.

• Like 1

Papermaker

Hi motorheadgrandma--

Thanks for the note.  A forum member (thanks Tom) sent me a link to a uncracked deep mower deck which I purchased Monday.  The deck was poorly maintained and every belt cover thread diameter through was stripped but the I can fix those areas and should have a deck that last for years.

Hi Brettw--

Thanks for the comment, I am interested in 7100 series tractors w/deck.  I like spare parts so If you run across any tractor w/decks I'd be interested in hearing about them.  Meanwhile, I'm very happy with the 7117 I have.  A couple of years ago I purchased a low time KT23 that was removed from a Cub Cadet with a cracked transmission housing.  The repowered  7117 runs great is the right size for my lawn and lawn vacuum  and has more power then I can possibly use.  In fact, I have to be careful not to ask the tractor to do to much because it will easily overpower the belts and break them.

Papermaker

PhanDad

Glad to hear you found a suitable deck.

3 hours ago, Papermaker said:

every belt cover thread diameter through was stripped

Although some use slightly larger sheet metal screws to keep the keep the covers on when the holes are stripped, I found you can use 7mm machine screws in the stripped out holes.  If you could find self-tapping 7mm screws I'm sure they'd work.  I bought a 7mm tap and threaded the striped out holes.  Depending on how badly the holes are stripped,  7mm screws might work even without tapping.

rich_kildow

I purchaed a nutsert gun, like a pop riveter, by Marson years ago and it's one of the most useful tools I have.  I drilled cover holes out and installed stainless nutserts in each hole.  Basically the same thing as Bill725 said but minus the welding.  Now I can just run the 1" bolts out with a impact driver and have the covers on and off in less time than it takes to remove the deck.  

Papermaker

Bill725--

I've considered welding but I don't like to heat the deck because it adds stress and possibly distortion.  Having said that, I have welded backing nuts to a deck I repaired recently.

rick_kildow--

I have the nutsert gun also.  I've used it on metric repairs in the past.  I was wondering if the nutserts were up to the task.  It sounds like you've function tested them and found that they work well.  Now all I have to do is buy some 1/4"-20 nutserts.

Thanks for the tip,

--Papermaker

rich_kildow

I wouldn't use them for structural work, but they are just about the handiest thing I've gotten my hands on recently, and I seem to just keep inventing things to use them on.  

- Deck guard covers

- My snowmobile trailer has a 3x4 platform in front of the deck.  Drilled that for 1/4" nutserts and it holds down the plywood cover and the toolbox sitting on top of that.  

- Sandblast cabinet window.  What was tapped sheet metal now has nutserts.

- Winch fairlead mount on my Dad's four wheeler was a beast to get off and repair the cables.  3/8" nutserts to the rescue!  No more reaching behind the bumper and trying to turn a wrench with the other hand...can't reach both.

ShaunE
11 hours ago, rich_kildow said:

I purchaed a nutsert gun, like a pop riveter, by Marson years ago and it's one of the most useful tools I have

One of the greatest inventions in the world!  Use it all the time at work mounting equipment inside our ambulance & engine compartments!

And snowmobile belly pans.

kwt

I'm pretty sure I just forced a 5/16ths tap into the stripped holes on the old deck I rebuilt last summer. I may have drilled them with a tight for size drill, but it was easy and all American. On thin metal you can usually get away with some pretty tight tolerances, as it relates to taps.