Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Any Suggestions; 3112 running with choke on

joelk

My poor 3112 (original 12 hp briggs) has been relegated to the outdoors and used sporadically.  I can always get it to start, but lately I am having trouble getting gas to the engine.  Once started, I have the choke almost all the way on to keep it running.  Any suggestions to clean out the carb ( I check flow through my gas line and filter and it flows at a good clip when disconnected).  I did put some sea foam in the gas, but probably not getting enough run time to work its magic.  

Pull the needle, clean it and take the tube on the carb cleaner and give every orifice the ol' 1-2.  And as Mark said clean the tank and a new filter.  I would start with that stuff, it's fairly easy stuff and good maintenance anyway.

I've been getting good results with my ultrasonic cleaner. I remove the carb from the engine, dismantle it, fill with water and a SMALL dash of liquid dish soap. Blow dry with compressed air and reassemble. My wife had a small one for jewelry, but the carb pieces didn't fit well (and she caught me) so I got this at HF.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dhoadley said:

My wife had a small one for jewelry, but the carb pieces didn't fit well (and she caught me) so I got this at HF.

That is HILARIOUS. xD LMAO. .

I also use an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Fright .  Use hot water and simple green for most jobs. Do not Soake in simple green dulls aluminum. 4, four minute cycles 90% successful . 2 cycle carbs are the tricky ones to clean. Not sure this will apply to your problem it did for me on a wood chipper carb. Had a long syphon tube, at the very bass was a Teflon seal, some how it grew and covered a tinny hole in the tube. Trimmed to uncover hole and is runs great  . 

Well, great suggestions.  Turns out I am an idiot.  I had taken the needle out a while back to clean it and see if I had fuel flow (another tip from this site).  Apparently, I didn't take the time to get the needle adjusted properly.  All I had to do was back it out about 3/4 of a turn and bango!  I don't think it ran any better than the day it rolled off the line in 1969.  Amazing how well these engines run.  Thanks again for your help.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1