Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mighty Mac Shredder Help

BigNickNY

Hey folks! I recently became the new owner of a Simplicity 7010 which came with a MacKissic "Basic 9P Shredder" While everything is there, I am missing the belt to power the entire thing. While browsing the parts listing and guide I found the part number "503-0013" listed for the belt needed. A storm recently blew through and took down a good number of pine bows so this weekend I'd like to get it fired up and working. Is there somewhere I am forgetting to look for the proper belt? I found some old postings here but unfortunately the links do not work anymore or images were removed. Any help on locating the belt and how everything is hooked up would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Nick

You could run clothesline and measure the length that way. Go to your local auto parts store, buy 2 or 3 that are close, find the one that fits and return the others.

• Like 1

Alright! I was able to get the correct belt and get everything hooked up, had to use a little ingenuity to get the tensioner right where I wanted it but after all that was able to finally get it fired up and working. I appreciate the tip about the clothes line, I will keep that in mind for me future projects that need belts. But as for the machine itself, for $200 I got the tractor which was needing some engine work (points, plug wire, adjustment) the chipper, blower, deck, blade, and those fancy chrome hubcaps! Can't really complain considering it was destined for the scrap pile, snagged it just in time

Edited by BigNickNY
  • Like 2

Welcome to the club. Sounds like you got a great deal. Any other question you might come up with don't be afraid to ask, someone on here will have the answer.  Tom

Welcome sir! You have got a great package for the price! Feel free to post pictures of it, we all like to see them about as much as we like owning and using them. 

Nice save for the money.

Welcome to the club Nick. Our site has a great membership with a ton of knowledge. 

Feel free to join in and stay a while.

9 hours ago, BigNickNY said:

Alright! I was able to get the correct belt and get everything hooked up, had to use a little ingenuity to get the tensioner right where I wanted it but after all that was able to finally get it fired up and working. I appreciate the tip about the clothes line, I will keep that in mind for me future projects that need belts. But as for the machine itself, for $200 I got the tractor which was needing some engine work (points, plug wire, adjustment) the chipper, blower, deck, blade, and those fancy chrome hubcaps! Can't really complain considering it was destined for the scrap pile, snagged it just in time

Any time a tractor is saved from the scrap pile is a good day.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delayed responses here folks! I've gotten some use out of the machine, needed a good cleaning as the previous owner mowed grass with it for YEARS and it shows everywhere. The engine needed some rewiring which was taken care of with a new solenoid and cables. We had a mighty wind storm here and there were some pine branches that needed dealing with so it was the first run with the chipper and I've got to say, I'm impressed! Ran great for some time before running out of gas and apparently sucking something right into the carb, I've got the kit now I just need to find the most valuable resource ever... Free time. I'll try and get out there this weekend for some pictures, spring time is when paint and all the fixens will happen.

Okay! Finally got the carb rebuilt and installed with some adjustment and wouldn't you know it ran like a champ! After fiddling with the high and low it was once again running strong enough to back out of the shed and have the shredder turned on, however that smooth running was short lived as once it was popped into gear again the engine would start missing like crazy until it was taken back down to idle. I was able to adjust the carb a touch more and had it running only to have it fall on its face once again after I tried to move it back inside. Am I missing something here? The spark is good, points are clean and its a fresh rebuild on the carb, could there be something else I'm just not seeing or picking up on? I haven't checked the compression as I lack the tester but could there be something so obvious that I am missing here? I appreciate it! Also, some pictures as promised.

Thanks.

Nick

Simplicity 1.jpg

Simplicity 2.jpg

Simplicity 3.jpg

Simplicity 4.jpg

Kohler K-Series have ACR (Automatic compression release) so you can't obtain an accurate compression reading anyway. You could possibly have a bad condenser. Is the fuel line good and the tank clean? Is the fuel cap vent able to breath? 

• Thanks 1

@Chris727 Fuel lines have been replaced considering the condition of the rest of the machine (I made sure to give it the best chances possible) I will look into the fuel cap vent to make sure it breathes. As for the condenser, would that impact the spark? Checking the spark its strong, consistent and bright. If this makes anything easier, before the carb rebuild the machine was run out of fuel which is when the running issues would start thus leading me to think it was something in the carb. However, its doing the same thing it was before the rebuild which has lead me to believe theres something else wrong.

Edit: While the machine is running and the air filter is off, I can see fuel coming out of the carb while its just dogging down before it eventually either stalls or sounds absolutely awful.

Thanks.

Nick

Edited by BigNickNY

It could still be a carb adjustment. Does it die completely? Does it make any difference if you apply the choke? Do you have any black smoke?

@Chris727 There is black smoke when it starts to dog down, it isn't heavy black smoke but its certainly there. While its chugging I figured it was out of adjustment however while trying to adjust it nothing seemed to be changing. Turning the choke on will stall the machine completely, turning it off will give another puff of black smoke before it goes back to running rough at higher throttle. 

Sounds like its running very rich.  Lean down that mixture   It should shape up with a couple twists of the screw  

What belt size did you end up with?

• Thanks 1

@Chris727 @Talntedmrgreen I will get the belt size tomorrow, searching through the parts that came with the machine I ended up finding it! I've also narrowed down the issue, I leaned out the carb and once again had it running great and idling nice and low.  I've also found that the throttle linkage is very loose in the carb body as it continues to suck air through it and give it a rough run. Is there a seal I can put in there to seal it up? 

The throttle shaft is likely wore as well as the body of the carburetor. Assuming this is still a Kohler carb rather than a Walbro replacement, There is a kit to repair it which includes a new shaft and a bushing that goes in the carb. I did this on my 916. You can buy a China carb cheaper than the kit but a lot of folks report trouble with them leaking and the choke lever often is not correct. IMG_7537.thumb.JPG.ef2687f9e2c60ec2b2d4c5e8b479ba01.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've been delving into the parts breakdown of my engine and cannot for the life of me find that part number for the little foam piece that seemingly sits in there, but I'm confident that's my issue now. Thanks for all the help guys!

Nick