Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PhanDad

Another Snowblower Chute Improvement

PhanDad

Recently I posted about what I call a "chute liner" that fills the gap between the snowblower housing chute nozzle OD and the chute ID to minimize the space (to minimize chute cocking), avoid metal to metal contact between the parts, and help ease of rotation.  This isn't new, it was discussed on this forum years ago.  For those that haven't read about it before, here are some pics:

IMG_9836.thumb.JPG.b47f7dd270116ce1b386ae4721d56f0d.JPG

The above was cut from the side of a windshield washer gallon container (I've never been able to find a container that's the perfect diameter so that it doesn't need to be cut).

5c2a8d019470a_ChuteLiner.thumb.JPG.09b8331db7908f8b93e296f59ab360f3.JPG

Now for the new improvement.  When I was preparing the snowblower for use this season, I noticed some rust under the toothed ring seen above. 

The chute has a small lip (pic is after rust removal and painting):

IMG_9838.thumb.JPG.37c99b0224f47d1515d849675665db9a.JPG

The chute lip rides on a flat 3/8" wide ring that's welded to the outside of the snowblower housing nozzle (pic from first season):

IMG_5337.thumb.jpg.9ff6a00bc1988978030205c2c3072722.jpg

Direct metal to metal contact.  After 7 seasons of use, both surfaces were rusty. 

To try to prevent this in the future,  I made a full circle "gasket" (7" OD x 6-1/4" ID) from a sheet of 60 mil Teflon sheet and installed it over the housing nozzle.  It rests on the 3/8" ring  There was enough space between the end of the clip and the nozzle to slide the "gasket" down onto the ring (60 mil Teflon doesn't like to bend).  A few pics:

IMG_9834.thumb.JPG.c496bf7fcb772ce3c484a867ea184b40.JPG

IMG_9835.thumb.JPG.ad1258fda6831f12dac9f3612f7a2736.JPG

IMG_9845.thumb.JPG.64e2e9ee5470db64b3300649160bfff5.JPG

There is also even less chute cocking compared to the chute liner only setup. 

Now the only metal to metal contact will be between the top of the lip and the bottom of the "clip" that stops the chute from blowing off when hit with snow (the clip can be see in the pic above of the 3/8" ring).    I don't think there's enough space to get another layer of 60 mil Teflon above the lip of the chute and the Teflon sheet wouldn't stretch over the lip even if there's enough room.  I'll just have to put up with a rust that I'm sure will develop in time.  

Edited by PhanDad
Added "haven't" in third sentance
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

kwt

Got a chance to try my slightly over speed blower with the ice cream bucket chute spacer today in a foot of fairly heavy snow. Wow. Made the 20hp Honda grunt hard and was throwing snow impressively. Chute stayed on. I was having problems loosing the chute before I took up the space.

Edited by kwt
  • Like 3

irvtoms

first post ever. did your chute bottom ring mod this am.

the other day i also took a gal bottle piece of plastic and heat

formed it and fit it in under the upper deflector to keep a lot of

the snow from falling out the back of the deflector when

tilted. havent tried it yet. new snow tonite

009.JPG

010.JPG

• Like 2

irvtoms

i just used plastic for my bottom ring from a gallon jug.

didnt have aything else laying around. crude but hope fully

effective. now a self luber. used to grease with viscotene after each use. thanks for all your info.

on another topic, where do i post pics and info on tractors.

only have l-lord dlx stuff.

Edited by irvtoms
  • Like 1

PhanDad
1 hour ago, irvtoms said:

on another topic, where do i post pics and info on tractors.

Either on this forum or "Show & Tell" forum.

You select "choose files" (in red below text box where you type your post); you can barely make it out in this screenshot:

image.thumb.png.b69495482ad51ec1ffc197b4e11de81d.png

Go to where the pic is located and select it.  A small thumbnail of the pic will appear below "choose files".  Then in the text box, position the cursor where you want the pic inserted, then with your pointing device click on the "+" icon on the pic thumbnail and it will be inserted into the text box where the cursor was.  

• Like 1

Kenh

`I used an old ice cream bucket a couple years ago.  It worked good while it worked but tended to work it's way our and I had to continuously stuff ti back in place.   ( don't know how ice cream bucket got turned into a link but can't get rid of it)

Ken

• Confused 1